Error code 50 whilst copying files

Reaction score
Using OS Mavericks 10.9.3 I wish to copy files from my hard drive to my NAS drive. If the file is large then the above code error code is raised. It's okay if I transfer small files at a a time. It works fine using my Windows 7 netbook so it is a MAC issue. Any ideas?
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How are you copying the files? Error 50 denotes that the file or data is corrupt. (CRC errors) This occurs more often with large files because when the data moves it may not be properly buffered. We have no idea how you're setup for file transfer?

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,
The files are on a portable hard drive and I was using the the standard method of drag and drop into my NAS drive (hard wired) when I got the error code 50 up. I then copied the files to the MAC - no problems and then tried to drag and drop from the MAC into the NAS drive (again hard wired) - error code 50 again. I tried plugging the portable drive into my windows 7 machine and was then able to drag and drop into the NAS drive okay (hard wired). I'm not aware of any corruption issues and I only manage to transfer a couple of files before error code 50 comes up. I've tried various folders all with the same result. The files are standard WAV, JPEG etc so they should not be a problem. It is definitely a MAC issue.
Hope this is of use,

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Just a thought, may not be relevant; but how is your NAS formatted? I only ask because if it is formatted MS DOS (Fat), then there is, I believe, a size limit on files that can be transferred. Whereas a drive formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) has no such limits.

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Ian,
Thanks for the suggestion, I do not know the typo of formatting but the windows machine transferred them easily so I do not think that is the issue.

Jim

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Jim

That is sort of what I was getting at. Windows does not have a problem transferring files to a MS DOS (Fat) formatted disc, but I believe that Macs do with a size limit.

I don't want to mislead you and others with more experience can comment.

You can, however, determine the format of your NAS disk by mounting it to the Mac & using Disc Utility (DU). Open DU with the NAS attached. DU shows all discs. Click on your NAS & from the top menu bar, choose Erase. Don't worry, choosing Erase merely opens up another window and this will show you the format. Then close DU.

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Fat 32 formatted disks have a size limit such that no single file can be larger than 4GB. If I remember correctly the same limit applies regardless of whether the machine in question is a Mac or PC.

There's been a lot written about that error on the web but I can't detect a specific pattern. I got the error recently because the drive I was copying to had some directory structure issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.