Yahoo taking over my computer

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to this forum so maybe I'm doing this wrong. I just had to ask someone who knows this stuff, I downloaded Mpeg Streamclip from Cnet.com thinking it was ok and it's freeware and all so it should be fine. Started installation and in the middle of it, Chrome pops up with Yahoo search engine, and I get the chills and deleted Mpeg Streamclip after installation (before registering) and I have now tried 5 times to get Yahoo off my settings in Chrome but it still shows up as default, and my "most visited" tabs when opening a new tab have like a "no tab preview" thing on them... even my Safari which I have used exactly 0 times has Yahoo now as a start page, that's a browser in which I don't even have any browsing history. Still, Yahoo is suddenly the default search engine, and start up page and everything.
I don't know if this is some kind of Trojan or if there's some script somewhere that's just overwriting something somewhere- I'm not a hacker I don't know that stuff. I'm getting anxious so please if anyone has any idea to what is going on, I'd love to get some insight. Hope I'm writing on the right wall ^^
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Cnet is very bad for adding to your downloads. I am willing to bet when you installed you accepted all the defaults they offered never guessing you were getting a lot of other goodies with it. I have this happen at work all the time and find myself doing cleanup on company computers.

What has happened is the settings have been changed in Chrome and Safari.

For Chrome:
Start Chrome. If you look at the end of the address bar there is a button that looks like 3 parallel lines. When you click on it a drop down opens. Go to settings. Under settings > On Startup there is a selection that says "open a specific page or set of pages". Click on "set pages". A pop up window will open and you can change the settings to the page or pages you want to open when you start the browser. You will notice when you move your mouse over an address a grey "x" will show up on the right that you can click on to delete a webpage.

Also on the settings page you can change your search engine selection.

Still under settings on the left there are three selections: history, extensions, settings (which is where you are now.) Click on extensions. Here you can disable any other goodies that might have been installed.

For Safari:
Open Safari and at the top click on Safari to access a drop down menu. Select preferences. A window will open that will have a whole host of selections to change. You can change your startup page, get rid of extensions, select search engine, etc.

Good luck and next time you download from Cnet remember to do a custom installation and read the different offerings they will show you. Uncheck all options they offer. They will not affect the software you really wanted. Or better yet, don't download from Cnet although that is not always an option.

Hopefully, I remembered everything but if not I am sure someone else will add their expertise.

Lisa

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Faroli

Welcome to the Forum.

I don't think for a moment that you have a virus or something taking over your Mac.

Some downloaded apps, although entirely safe, are linked to a specific search engine and change your settings such that Yahoo is your preferred choice.

Open Safari and click on the Safari icon in the top menu bar. Choose Preferences and then General. The top choice is "Default Web Browser". Click on this and select your choice. Next down is " Default Search Engine". Again select your choice, presumably Google.

I don't use Chrome so can't be specific about that app, but I assume that opening Chrome and choosing Preferences will provide the same choices.

As I am a Safari man, I'm biased, but I should suggest that you give it a go unless you are wedded to Chrome; but as I said, Chrome will allow you, via preferences, to choose your own search engine.

As I said at the start, I don't believe you have a Trojan or similar and, although not acquainted with MPEG Streamclip, it is more than likely that the app itself is OK. It has just altered your preferences which can be easily rectified.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Lisa beat me to it by 3 minutes. Obviously a faster typist! We two are basically in agreement.

Ian

OP
F
Reaction score
Haha =) oh you guys
Thank you so much for your replies, I had JUST vacuumed the internet and found out about the extensions when I saw your replies.
The instant I took them off (one was Domain Error something something and the other was a Slick Saver or something) both Chrome and Safari went back to normal.

I tend to get overly paranoid when stuff happens, but then again I don't want to ignore something that might be a problem. But it looks as if it's all fine now,

Mpeg Streamclip is a freeware software for compressing movie files, I am an animator and needed to compress some files and my media encoder didn't want to cooperate with me, that's why I thought I'd try Streamclip. I agree with you, Ian, the file itself was probably alright, it was just the site I took it from that was crooked. I'll never visit there again, that's for sure!

Again thanks, and I hope you have a lovely week!
Best,
Ida

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've used MPEG Streamclip for several years without the problems you've encountered. I suspect the garbageware was added by CNET. I've always gone directly to the Streamclip site to get it. You can find it here.

Reaction score
Check the EXTENSIONS in Chrome

It is likely the "Yahoo Extension" and not the preferences or designated home page.
I use Chrome and was frustrated with this. I changed all the settings others have mentioned and that would fix it only for when I clicked on the HOME icon, but anytime I opened a new window or tab in Chrome, Yahoo would still show up.
Here is the solution: "...Simply click the menu bar in the top-right of Chrome (the three bars), then expand “Tools” and click on “Extensions.” From here, you will see a list of every extension installed in your browser. Ones that you purposefully installed likely are not the culprit, so look for any that seem out-of-place. "
Look for the "Yahoo Extension" and delete it by clicking the trash barrel to the right.
It comes from this site: 3 Essential Steps To Get Rid Of Chrome Hijackers In Minutes

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.