2.1 speakers on ibook g4?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
could i use 2.1 "surround sound" speakers?

the ibook g4 has a headphones plug but will this cope with some 2.1 speakers?

thanks

chris tm :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
I don't see why not...2.1 is not true surround sound ala DTS or Dolby Digital...it's more like sound divied up by crossovers and sent to the appropriate speakers for reproduction.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mcsenerd said:
I don't see why not...2.1 is not true surround sound ala DTS or Dolby Digital...it's more like sound divied up by crossovers and sent to the appropriate speakers for reproduction.

ok what ever it is

will it work with my ibook g4

B

bfx

I suspect the 2.1 scheme he's referring is the one where the + and - leads for each channel from the headphone adaptor go to the left and right speakers. Those speakers also have a second set of connections that, thru an isolation pad built into each speaker (so the speaker's signal isn't weakened) are then connected to appropriate input connections on the subwoofer which filters out the higher frequencies and sums the bass signal from both channels.

The subwoofer should also be self powered, in most instances, when being driven from the relatively low level signal headphone jacks are normally able to produce. Often the sub will have the power supply to power it and the satellite speakers.

And a volume comtrol on the sub is definitely a plus for adjusting overall sound balance.

Such a system should work fine.

Only other thing really is to observe polarity when connecting everything. The + signal should always connect to the + terminals and the - to the -. Seems obvious but crossed wires happen more than one might think - which causes the signals delivered to the sub to be out of phase and effectively cancel out except for the minute differences between channels. That effectively kills the sub volume.

Check out the 2.1 speaker set you plan to buy and most likely you'll find it works this way.

bfx

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bfx said:
I suspect the 2.1 scheme he's referring is the one where the + and - leads for each channel from the headphone adaptor go to the left and right speakers. Those speakers also have a second set of connections that, thru an isolation pad built into each speaker (so the speaker's signal isn't weakened) are then connected to appropriate input connections on the subwoofer which filters out the higher frequencies and sums the bass signal from both channels.

The subwoofer should also be self powered, in most instances, when being driven from the relatively low level signal headphone jacks are normally able to produce. Often the sub will have the power supply to power it and the satellite speakers.

And a volume comtrol on the sub is definitely a plus for adjusting overall sound balance.

Such a system should work fine.

Only other thing really is to observe polarity when connecting everything. The + signal should always connect to the + terminals and the - to the -. Seems obvious but crossed wires happen more than one might think - which causes the signals delivered to the sub to be out of phase and effectively cancel out except for the minute differences between channels. That effectively kills the sub volume.

Check out the 2.1 speaker set you plan to buy and most likely you'll find it works this way.

bfx

wicked thanks for all your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
something like this will work, you will plug it into your headphone jack, wires go to powered sub, from sub wires go to speakers
-chris

B

bfx

Looks like it should.

But check with the folks at the Apple Store before ordering.

No way for me to be certain as I don't have that setup.

bfx

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bfx said:
Looks like it should.

But check with the folks at the Apple Store before ordering.

No way for me to be certain as I don't have that setup.

bfx

ok thanks very much

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Any 2.1 computer speakers I have ever worked with have one mini stereo jack and that will work perfectally with your iBook. Those JBL's are made for use with even iPods so yes, they will work. I have an iBook and use it sometimes with my Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. Plugs right into the headphone jack and sounds great. Just do not get 4.1 or other surround sound speakers as most have multiple inputs.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any 2.1 computer speakers I have ever worked with have one mini stereo jack and that will work perfectally with your iBook. Those JBL's are made for use with even iPods so yes, they will work. I have an iBook and use it sometimes with my Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. Plugs right into the headphone jack and sounds great. Just do not get 4.1 or other surround sound speakers as most have multiple inputs.

wicked thankyou VERY much

i will purchase a pair off ebay.

thanks

chris tm :mac:

M

mangoSharingan

2.1 isn't surround sound. It's simply stereo speakers and a subwoofer. I have used my Creative Labs 2.1 Inspire speakers fine with my iBook before with no problems.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mangoSharingan said:
2.1 isn't surround sound. It's simply stereo speakers and a subwoofer. I have used my Creative Labs 2.1 Inspire speakers fine with my iBook before with no problems.

ya i know what i meant lol

anyways

thanks coming on tues next week

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.