Can anyone recommend this?

Reaction score
Hey, I've started doing some gaming on my 2012 15" MBP and the temps are going to around 85 / 90 celcius.

Because i have my music on, i'd rather the fans go faster instead of my macbook heating up.

Saw this programme SMCFanControl, but heard mixed reviews about it.

Just after some more expert advice on this matter.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey, I've started doing some gaming on my 2012 15" MBP and the temps are going to around 85 / 90 celcius.

Because i have my music on, i'd rather the fans go faster instead of my macbook heating up.

Saw this programme SMCFanControl, but heard mixed reviews about it.

Fan's on Apple laptops have a maximum rpm (somewhere like 6000rpm). If your laptop is really running at 85-90°C...the fans are probably already maxed out...and SMCFanControl isn't going to help.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Fan's on Apple laptops have a maximum rpm (somewhere like 6000rpm). If your laptop is really running at 85-90°C...the fans are probably already maxed out...and SMCFanControl isn't going to help.

- Nick

The thing is though, my fans are quiet as anything, can hardly hear them even without music, but laptop is really hot? hmm :/

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The thing is though, my fans are quiet as anything, can hardly hear them even without music, but laptop is really hot? hmm :/

Ok...that's a bit strange. With the temps being 85-90°C...the fan/fans should be "roaring"!

- Firstly...are you sure we are talking 85-90°C...and not 85-90°F?
- Second...where are you getting the temp. info from?

I would say download & install SMCFanControl...just to see what your computers fan rpm's are (when it is really hot). It doesn't make sense that your computer is this hot...and the fan rpm's are low (quiet fans).

How know's...maybe the fan/fans are malfunctioning or clogged with dirt.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok...that's a bit strange. With the temps being 85-90°C...the fan/fans should be "roaring"!

- Firstly...are you sure we are talking 85-90°C...and not 85-90°F?
- Second...where are you getting the temp. info from?

I would say download & install SMCFanControl...just to see what your computers fan rpm's are (when it is really hot). It doesn't make sense that your computer is this hot...and the fan rpm's are low (quiet fans).

How know's...maybe the fan/fans are malfunctioning or clogged with dirt.

- Nick

I'm using iStat pro, and the rpm was actually 3500, as opposed to the standard 2000, but regardless, it was pretty silent.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm using iStat pro, and the rpm was actually 3500, as opposed to the standard 2000, but regardless, it was pretty silent.

I think that when the fans get to the max speed (around 6000rpm) is when they get loud. Seems strange that the fans on your computer aren't maxing out...with the temps so high. You could open it up to see of there is any dirt/fuzz inside.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I think that when the fans get to the max speed (around 6000rpm) is when they get loud. Seems strange that the fans on your computer aren't maxing out...with the temps so high. You could open it up to see of there is any dirt/fuzz inside.

- Nick

Yeah, because i don't have any screw drivers, i might just quickly pop into the Apple store tomorrow and ask them to open it up for me :)

EDIT: Also, what is your opinion on using a desk fan next to it to cool it down ?

It's only this hot when gaming, when using my design software its fine, so it wont be running at those high temps 100% of the time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, because i don't have any screw drivers, i might just quickly pop into the Apple store tomorrow and ask them to open it up for me :)

Screwdrivers can easily cost less than $10-$20. But if Apple will do it for free...what the heck.:)

For example ($6.99):

http://www.harborfreight.com/33-piece-precision-screwdriver-set-93916.html

EDIT: Also, what is your opinion on using a desk fan next to it to cool it down ?

Get air-conditioning.;)

It's only this hot when gaming, when using my design software its fine, so it wont be running at those high temps 100% of the time.

I know exactly what you're saying. My laptops are the same way.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Clarkeface . . . just keep this photo within 3 feet of your CPU. Rumor has it he is too cool. Keep in mind that as matter approaches Absolute Zero, atoms "slow" down. Therefore, you need to find a happy medium between a cool CPU and computer performance you can live with. I hope this helps!:)

most-interesting.jpg

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.