files for time machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
I'm trying to retrieve files from my external hard drive. My mac suddenly turned off when I was doing a file transfer and now my EHD is not mounting.

I'm using EaseUs data to retrieve my files.

My question is where do I find the files for the time machine? So when I reboot my mac I can have access to time machine and retrieve all my data back.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
To recover files from a Time Machine backup, launch Time Machine and on the right hand side, browse to the date you want to restore files from. Select a file:folder and hit the restore button.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
To recover files from a Time Machine backup, launch Time Machine and on the right hand side, browse to the date you want to restore files from. Select a file:folder and hit the restore button.

Cheers ... McBie

This does not answer my question.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I assume your Time Machine backup is on that external drive. Before you can retrieve the files from your Time Machine backup you've got to get the Mac to "see" that hard drive. Here's what I would do when you have access to a Mac:

1. Don't try running the data recovery program right away. I would first launch Disk Utility and determine whether it can "see" the external drive in the list on the left side of the program. If so, select the drive and run Repair Disk. That may be all that is needed to let the Finder "see" the drive.
2. If you can "see" the drive try Launching Time Machine and restoring files that way. How to restore data from Time Machine in Mountain Lion | Macworld The files will be inside a folder probably called something like backups.backups.db.

I'm not familiar enough with the program you mentioned to tell you whether it is worthwhile or not.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.