Macbook can't startup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
I just keep getting the spinning wheel.

My macbook has problems over heating and shut down twice today.

When I got it to startup again I tried to back up a file to an external hardrive
but the mac got over heated again and shut down in the middle of the file transfer.

Ever since then the mac hasn't been able to start up.

I tried to go into the different safe modes but the only one I can get into is
with the command + s

The fsck -fy command doesn't do anything or fix the damaged disk.
I get a message:
The volume could not be verified completely.

Any help?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Considering the overheating problems. Maybe the computers fan is not operating properly or is clogged with "funk"/fuzz.

Gotta open it up…and see what's up.

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I just keep getting the spinning wheel.

My macbook has problems over heating and shut down twice today.

When I got it to startup again I tried to back up a file to an external hardrive
but the mac got over heated again and shut down in the middle of the file transfer.

Ever since then the mac hasn't been able to start up.

I tried to go into the different safe modes but the only one I can get into is
with the command + s

The fsck -fy command doesn't do anything or fix the damaged disk.
I get a message:
The volume could not be verified completely.

Any help?

Cool it right down, unplug the charger (it creates heat) if it has enough power and try your backup again if it will start up. You may not get long so only transfer really important files. You can place it below an air conditioner if you have one or aim a fan at the rear vents either way it sounds like your fan is either clogged or not working.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
There's nothing wrong with the fan, its working. I've been working on adobe products multiple on at a time and I guess my cpu couldn't handle it.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
There's nothing wrong with the fan, its working. I've been working on adobe products multiple on at a time and I guess my cpu couldn't handle it.

So are you saying its working now? Why did you think it was overheating in the first instance? I'm running a MBP with 5 programs running (one doing a video conversion) it's 31 deg C on the balcony where I am (although I'm under a ceiling fan) and mine is not overheating. Could it be something else?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So are you saying its working now? Why did you think it was overheating in the first instance? I'm running a MBP with 5 programs running (one doing a video conversion) it's 31 deg C on the balcony where I am (although I'm under a ceiling fan) and mine is not overheating. Could it be something else?

No the mac is not working yet. When its turned on it stays on the spinning wheel and I can hear the fan.

Its warm right now this time of year so I guess my mac got over heated. I've never had this problem before.

Does anyone know if my external hard drive was effected when my mac turned off? Since the file transfer wasn't done uploading.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There can sometimes be directory corruption when a task like that is interrupted. Usually the external drive is either OK right off the bat or with minor directory repair. If you get your Mac running, or can borrow one for a few minutes, have Disk Utility verify the disk.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No the mac is not working yet. When its turned on it stays on the spinning wheel and I can hear the fan.

Its warm right now this time of year so I guess my mac got over heated. I've never had this problem before.

Does anyone know if my external hard drive was effected when my mac turned off? Since the file transfer wasn't done uploading.

Ok, as stated your external drive is probably alright so disconnect it and if your mac has cooled down try starting up with Command+R. This will access the restore partition and allow you to run Disk Utility. From here you can reinstall your OS while keeping all of your old files. If your operating system was corrupted for some reason this is the best way of reinstalling it HOWEVER if you have an overheating problem it may not be able to complete the reinstall and that will leave you in an unfortunate situation. If it can complete a restore you can then use Console to check if the shutdown was caused by overheating at the moment we are a bit in the dark as to the cause for the crash. Do you have a full backup? Either Time Machine or a bootable clone?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There can sometimes be directory corruption when a task like that is interrupted. Usually the external drive is either OK right off the bat or with minor directory repair. If you get your Mac running, or can borrow one for a few minutes, have Disk Utility verify the disk.

It turns out my external hard drive was damaged because of the file transfer not being done when the mac turned off. I'll create another thread about this.

Do you have any suggestions on how to repair it?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, as stated your external drive is probably alright so disconnect it and if your mac has cooled down try starting up with Command+R. This will access the restore partition and allow you to run Disk Utility. From here you can reinstall your OS while keeping all of your old files. If your operating system was corrupted for some reason this is the best way of reinstalling it HOWEVER if you have an overheating problem it may not be able to complete the reinstall and that will leave you in an unfortunate situation. If it can complete a restore you can then use Console to check if the shutdown was caused by overheating at the moment we are a bit in the dark as to the cause for the crash. Do you have a full backup? Either Time Machine or a bootable clone?

When I do command+r the mac automatically turns off. I see the scroll bar but it immediately disappears, and the spinner shows but then the mac turns off.

The only safe mode I can access is command+s

I do have a back up on time machine but the external hard drive is giving me problems.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I do command+r the mac automatically turns off. I see the scroll bar but it immediately disappears, and the spinner shows but then the mac turns off.

The only safe mode I can access is command+s

I do have a back up on time machine but the external hard drive is giving me problems.

Oh dear! If your external HD is also damaged you will need to repair it, I can see no alternative other than visiting a Mac repair site eg. Mac Help shop or Mac Knowledge site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.