Save pdf files from Safari

Reaction score
Has anyone come across this where a pdf file is downloaded by Safari ( could be a news article for example) but Safari won't save the contents to you local disc? It allows you to go through the process of saving the pdf file to your local disc, but then the saved file is empty.
I got round this be doing it in Windows using Firefox.
So why would OSX not let me save the file, but Windows will?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I can save pdfs from Safari just fine. Give us some pertinent details about your Mac and software.

OP
N
Reaction score
It's not all pdf files, just some. I have noticed it with my credit card company statements, that sometimes they will just not save.

2012 Mac Mini running 10.9.3
All software and apps up to date.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you give us an example that we can try. Not your credit card of course lol. There may be some security settings in play. I've seen some pdfs that will not allow printing for example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you checked the Downloads folder in Finder?

OP
N
Reaction score
I'll see if I can dig out an example, but recently they are all financial.
There is nothing in the downloads folder.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

This can occur when another application makes itself the default for viewing and editing PDF files. I had the same thing happen until I removed the Adobe Reader. Check to see if Preview is your default PDF reader - editor. If it's not, reset it back to the default and Safari will once again save all the PDF files, not just some.

OP
N
Reaction score
This can occur when another application makes itself the default for viewing and editing PDF files. I had the same thing happen until I removed the Adobe Reader. Check to see if Preview is your default PDF reader - editor. If it's not, reset it back to the default and Safari will once again save all the PDF files, not just some.

Thanks CHSCAG,
That worked perfectly.
I did have to remove the Adobe Safari plug-ins from the /library folder.
Unfortunately, there are sites which appear to only open with Adobe, such as our wonderful tax office in the UK!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately, there are sites which appear to only open with Adobe, such as our wonderful tax office in the UK!

LOL, I wonder if tax offices are not in contact with other even from across the Atlantic? Our county tax office here in Fort Worth is the same way, it's the Adobe way or the highway. :p
I keep a copy of the Adobe reader around for just that purpose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" M2 running Sonoma 14.0
Has anyone come across this where a pdf file is downloaded by Safari ( could be a news article for example) but Safari won't save the contents to you local disc? It allows you to go through the process of saving the pdf file to your local disc, but then the saved file is empty.
I got round this be doing it in Windows using Firefox.

This has happened to me too. When the file name appears, most of it will be in blue, but the pdf suffix is in black and white and the cursor is before the pdf file type. I simply move the cursor behind the last letter of the file name, in this cast "f", before you hit "save" and it will save the contents of the file. Otherwise, as you have stated, the "file" will be empty.
Hope this works for you. I think the OS is letting you select a different file type before saving, but not really sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.