iPhoto opens each time I open iTunes!

Reaction score
How can I stop iPhoto from opening each time I open iTunes? I’m currently doing a lot of PDF transfers and it’s irritating to have to keep closing iPhoto.
Thanks in advance for comments.
M

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Mikeo. Just so that I understand. When you open iTunes, are you doing so with an iOS device attached via USB? Such as iPad or iPhone?

If so, it may be set up via Image Capture Application to open iPhoto by default. This is easily sorted, but if you are simply opening iTunes with no devices attached, then I can't explain the phenomenon.

Can you get back to us with an answer to the question please?

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that’s right. It happens when iTunes is already running and then I plug in the iPad2 (7.1.1).

On a different tack, iTunes sometimes crashes when I start it up and an error message appears: “iTunes unexpectedly quit while using the Sonix SN9C201 Webcam” … or words to that effect.

M

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
iPhoto - Preferences - General tab

Set the "Connecting camera opens:" to whatever option you want.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Right Mikeo:

this is what you can do. Open iTunes. Attach your iPad (iPhone) via USB. After it shows up in iTunes as mounted - Go to Applications and click on "Image Capture" to open it.

This will give you a list of devices attached. Highlight your iPad (or iPhone, whatever). Bottom left you will see "Connecting this iPad/iPhone Opens: and underneath there is a drop down list. It probably says iPhoto at the moment. From the list, choose "No Application".

This does as the name implies: when you connect your iPad it will appear in iTunes but otherwise nothing else happens.

You will have to carry out this action for each device separately. If you don't see the "Connecting this iPad Opens", then click on the small disclosure triangle bottom left corner to show this.

You will also notice, bottom left-of-centre "Import To". This could be set to iPhoto or whatever you choose depending on the application you most often use. But nothing will import till you open said application because you have already instructed the system not to connect automatically to any application as outlined above.

I find this most helpful with my iPhone. I may have photos on it, but when I connect to iTunes that's all it does. I may back up first or download PDFs or songs. Only if and when I'm ready, do I manually open iPhoto and there are my photos waiting to be imported.

Hope this helps. Come back if I've been less than clear in my suggestions.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Very many thanks to ‘bobtomay’ and Ian for the helpful explanations. The matter is now sorted. I appreciate having ‘Image Capture’ brought to my attention; I had never opened this before and was not aware of its function.
M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.