preparing mac for new user...help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" imac 2.66 1T 8GB
I just goat a new imac and just finished loading it with all my files from a time machine backup on an external drive.

What i need to do now is remove everything for a new user (my parents)
what is the best way? The computer i am referring to (old one) is running 10.6.8 software and i want to know the best way to prep it for my parents.

Thank you
Jon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot the machine you're giving to your parents with your Snow Leopard DVD. Go into Disk Utility from the DVD disk and erase the hard drive. Format the hard drive using OS X Extended Journaled, GUID scheme, and then install the operating system and software that's on disk 2. After Snow Leopard has been installed do not create an account on it. Let your parents create the account and a password. You can show them how, but let them do it.

OP
Suzie68
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" imac 2.66 1T 8GB
i only have one disc from snow leopard. i have 2 install discs with Mac OS X. i think these were the original discs from when i got it, the up graded to snow leopard in 2010 or whenever i came out. does this change things? which discs should i use?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The original install disks are likely Leopard disk 1 and 2. Go ahead and use the Snow Leopard retail disk as I outlined above. The difference is that you won't have a disk 2 and some of the apps will be missing. The iLife apps are not on the Snow Leopard disk, however, once your parents get the machine setup for them, you can extract the iLife apps from your Leopard disks and copy them to their machine. Let us know when you're ready to do that and we'll show you how to extract the apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.