• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie titles

Reaction score
hi

This seems a fundamental question but I have searched everywhere and cannot find an answer.

When I drag a title into a project it automatically sets a 2.0 second duration. To modify it I need to enter each, one at a time, and type in a different figure. I know I can set a standard transition duration to apply to the entire project. Is there not a way to do that for titles? I am using iMovie v. 9.0.4

Thank you

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Just had a look in my iMovie and couldn't find a way to do that.

OP
P
Reaction score
Just had a look in my iMovie and couldn't find a way to do that.

I had the same experience. Seems odd that preferences can be established for transitions but not for titles.

It seems to be getting worse. In my current project I am creating many titles (using pixie dust) by dragging it to the proper location, typing in the text > done and the title duration is only 0.1 sec. I then edit it to 5.0 sec but it becomes 3.9 sec. Only after a second edit can I make it 5.0 sec. Very time consuming

poppi

Reaction score
In iMovie 10.0.3 (the best I can do for you) try this:

1) Select (Command click) all the titles that you want to adjust to the same length

2) In the viewer, select Adjust to see edit controls

3) Select the " i " for Clip Information. You will see the number of titles selected. To the right you will see duration (probably blank)

4) Fill in the numerical value for number of seconds that you want the selected Titles. Click Tab or Return. They will all change to that value.

See if that works for iMovie 9

Of course, you will have to have the titles already in the timeline before you can change them in this manner.

OP
P
Reaction score
In iMovie 10.0.3 (the best I can do for you) try this:

1) Select (Command click) all the titles that you want to adjust to the same length

2) In the viewer, select Adjust to see edit controls

3) Select the " i " for Clip Information. You will see the number of titles selected. To the right you will see duration (probably blank)

4) Fill in the numerical value for number of seconds that you want the selected Titles. Click Tab or Return. They will all change to that value.

Of course, you will have to have the titles already in the timeline before you can change them in this manner.

Does not seem to work in iMovie 9 - I cannot find "Adjust".

It gets worse - going back to look at the titles I have adjusted to 5 sec I see that most of them have changed with no rhyme or reason. I vaguely recall something about the length of transitions being limited by the length of the clips immediately before and after the transition. I wonder if that also applies to titles?

Very confused and frustrated

poppi

Reaction score
Yeah, these programs can be frustrating. Especially in Legacy versions that don't have the improvements of current versions. I assume that you can't update to iMovie 10. And of course, even updating can be problematic on some machines.

I wish I could help you but I don't have that version in front of me to figure out. I normally work in Final Cut Pro X. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
iMovie 13(v10) is nothing like iMovie 11(v9) Fritz.

I am creating many titles (using pixie dust) by dragging it to the proper location, typing in the text > done and the title duration is only 0.1 sec. I then edit it to 5.0 sec but it becomes 3.9 sec.
Can't replicate that, I'm afraid. My default time for Titles is 4 seconds, and I can't find anyway of changing that default.

I vaguely recall something about the length of transitions being limited by the length of the clips immediately before and after the transition.
That's right, but it doesn't effect Titles as far as I can see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.