Mouse Problem

Reaction score
I have just bought a new magic mouse, on getting it home, it immediately connected to my old Imac.
However, after closing things down, then going shopping, I turned everything on, and now, within 4 hrs
the computer is not working with the new magic mouse.
what can have gone wrong, in 4 hrs ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Bessie - welcome to the forum! :)

Check the on-off switch and are the batteries fresh? My wife uses a 'Magic Mouse' on her iMac and battery life is lousy in our experience (I've switched to rechargeables, so not a big issue) - let us know. Dave

OP
B
Reaction score
Well, as said, i got it home, took it out of the box, and it immediately conected to my iMac.
worked perfectly. then I turned everything off, as I had to go out.
On return, and turning back on, the screen detected the mouse, but it does not work.
After posting my question, I found a thread on this, through Apple Support, and it sounds like some bug, or incompatability, since lots of people are experiencing the same thing.
What baffels me, is why would it work, Initially, then stop.
Oh also, now, it is not detecting the wireless apple keyboard, that has worked for years, no problem.
Also I get a message stating : This version of Bluetooth may be incompatible, or unsupported.
So, I will start by trying a different Bluetooth system, and will post again, as and when I work it out, or have to exchange it for the old style wired mouse.
Thanks for the response so far.

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
Ok, I went back to the shop, and expained everything that had happened.
The technical rep, told me, they couldnt upgrade my 2006 iMac and that those plug in bluetooth dongles, are not powerful enough to run the Mighty Mouse.
The only viable solution was to exchange it for a plug in mouse.
Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
The technical rep, told me, they couldnt upgrade my 2006 iMac and that those plug in bluetooth dongles, are not powerful enough to run the Mighty Mouse.

Hi again Bessie - I'm a new converter to Apple (spring of 2013), so don't really know much about the hardware on older Macs, especially one that is now 8 years of age.

From your statement above about 'plug in bluetooth dongles,' I'm assuming your iMac model did not come w/ BT built-in and you're using a USB plug-in for Bluetooth - correct? If so, do you have another BT dongle to try? Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi again Bessie - I'm a new converter to Apple (spring of 2013), so don't really know much about the hardware on older Macs, especially one that is now 8 years of age.

From your statement above about 'plug in bluetooth dongles,' I'm assuming your iMac model did not come w/ BT built-in and you're using a USB plug-in for Bluetooth - correct? If so, do you have another BT dongle to try? Dave :)

Yes, exactly, The tech guy told me that Apple do not make plug in dongles, as they are not very powerfull.
He didnt think any of the currently available plug in Bluetooth Dongles, have the power, to run the keyboard, and the Mighty Mouse, at the same time.
So to get back to my projects, It was faster & easier to just revert to the old style dongle.
The old one snapped a wire, after 7 yrs hard work.
Apparently the only thing you are able to upgrade, on my iMac, is plugging in more ram, BUT, even though I put in 2 x 2 Gb Ram chips, the computer is only able to detect & use 3 Gb.
Later iMacs were apparently designed differently, so they were easier to take apart, and upgrade.
Cheers.
Bessie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The techie is correct. The dongles were a real hit and miss affair. And Apple were pretty specific one had to use the D-Link brand dongles. It is the old problem of technology continuing to develop and an eight year old computer, once the latest rage, now struggle big time with everything!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

Bessie, I gave up getting the Magic Mouse ages ago because I got a Microsoft wireless mouse free with Microsoft Office for Mac and haven't looked back since. I didn't really like the design of the Magic Mouse anyway. You will need to plug the transmitter into a USB connection on the iMac if you have one spare. I recently swapped to a Microsoft BT mouse for my MacBook Pro to free up a USB port. It works perfectly and there are lots of other makes, Logitech also make some good wireless mice all will work with an iMac but you may lose some advertised functionality dependant on the make.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.