win7 boot camp color calibration tool not working

Reaction score
I am running windows 7 home edition on a 15 inch mid 2010 macbook pro. Everything runs smoothly, however I am unable to use the color calibration tool. If I try to change my gamma ( I REALLY need to) or rgb values, it shows me the changed values for about half a second and then immediately defaults back to the factory settings. I have updated and checked my drivers, re installed boot camp, nothing seems to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
From your post, I'm assuming you're trying to color calibrate your MacBook Pro display while in Windows? Have you opened up your Control Panel devices to check to see which graphic display adapter Windows is using? Your machine has two adapters: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M and Intel HD Graphics. I suspect that Windows 7 is using the Intel HD graphics and not the NVIDIA.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes, I am using my own laptop's display. How do I check which graphic display adapter windows is using?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, I am using my own laptop's display. How do I check which graphic display adapter windows is using?

Like I said above. Go to Control Panel, and open up the Hardware Devices control panel applet. (Your hardware tree) Click on the graphics adapter and select "properties". But the adapter type should be identified by just viewing the hardware devices.

OP
P
Reaction score
As far as I can determine, from using device manager, my display adapter is using my Nvidia card. Do you have any other suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that's good. Most of the problems with the display adapter in Windows 7 is because Windows does not pick the correct adapter. Try setting up your display in OS X using the built in calibration tool to change the gamma. Make sure when you're in OS X that the NVIDIA adapter is shown and being used. If it's not, change it in System Preferences first before using the calibration tool.

The calibration you set in OS X "should" carry over to Windows 7 as long as the graphics adapter is the same. The only thing that might interfere with the calibration is the Windows graphics driver. However, if you're using the default driver it should hopefully stick. Let us know if that works. If for some reason the changes still won't stick, we can try looking for a Windows only calibration tool. The problem with that is color calibration in Windows is usually provided by the display manufacturer.

OP
P
Reaction score
That's so odd. Going into OSX and using the calibration tool, I experience the exact same problem- screen settings are momentarily (less than a second) changed, only to revert back almost immediately. I attempted to use the display calibrator assistant, unless that is the wrong application.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you save the color calibration you set as a profile? (The Display Calibrator Assistant is what you should be using.) See the following article for some hints on how to use the calibrator: LINK

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes. I actually just figured it out by happenstance: I was using a program called "Flux" and was not aware that it overrode my other screen settings while it was not in-use. Thank you very much for your help!!

Reaction score
What do you need your color reliability for?

Please be aware that a calibration by eye is never correct, given that our eyes (or our brain) is always seeing colors subjectively and in relation to the ambient light situation (contrasts, light temperature).

If you really wish to have exact and reliable colors, you have to calibrate with a colorimeter. I use Spyder myself. You have a similar software as the assistant you used, but instead of your eyes, it's the multiple sensors of the Spyder4 that measures the colors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.