Sharing Folders on Home Network: Can Neighbors Access?

Reaction score
The answer to this I am thinking is 'no' and hopefully is 'no' but I will ask anyway. Can't be too careful with the programming world.

I am sharing a folder on my Macbook with other computers in the house logged on the same wi-fi network. For computers within the house, there are no restrictions to gaining access to this folder because there is no password. All is required is to type in 'Guest' as the username and leave the password field blank.

My question is- The folder that I have shared contains private financial information. Can my neighbors see this particular folder that I have shared? Ie. They do not have access to my home's wi-fi password.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My question is- The folder that I have shared contains private financial information. Can my neighbors see this particular folder that I have shared? Ie. They do not have access to my home's wi-fi password.

No, they can't access your network as long as you have it encrypted with a strong password. We recommend always using WPA2 for encryption.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.