Make a Bootable USB Stick in OS X for Ubuntu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Hello all, long time no see! I can't seem to find the proper procedure for how to do this, so I was hoping somebody here could offer some assistance.

I recently acquired an older PC with a rather fudged-up install of Vista on it. I wanted to completely wipe it out and install a new OS, preferably Win 7, onto it. However, I lack any DVD-R disks or 4GB+ flash drive at the moment, so I figured I'd go ahead and put Ubuntu onto it for right now, (seeing as it's a much smaller install size) until I can get out and buy something to do this properly.

The problem I'm having is I have no idea how to put Ubuntu onto a USB flash drive from a Mac, that will be bootable with a PC. I can't imagine it would be as easy a dragging the .iso into it, right? All the help I can find online is for a Mac to Mac or PC to PC bootable image, not a Mac to PC image.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes…it has been a while! Where have you been hiding? Thought maybe the lobsters got you!;);)

- Nick

I've been really busy with school and other things. (Robotics, Information Technology course, etc.) But those lobsters, ferocious as ever! ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey stranger, go here and ask your question. That's where the experts hang out.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welp, successfully made the USB stick (thanks osxx, that's a neat little piece of software) but the computer doesn't have the slightest idea how to boot from USB (Set it up in the BIOS, it still tries to boot from the Hard Drive and blue screens itself.)

Oh well, just gonna have to pick up a few blank DVD's tomorrow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.