Changing from POP to IMAP format

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
I hope this is the proper forum for this.

I'm using Outlook for Mac 2011 as my local mail handler for msn.com (which has morphed into outlook.com). I've read that if I switch from a POP account to an IMAP account, my duplicate inbox messages problem will go away. The Cnet forum talks about making this change for Mail, but I got no response there. Any help on this here?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure about your dupes being caused by your PoP account, however, if you own more than one device that you use for mail, then by all means you should be using IMAP. It should work well with msn.com or outlook.com (whatever MS is now calling it). Make sure before you switch that you backup all your mail data and Outlook data base. You can use Time Machine but cloning software such as Carbon Copy Cloner works better for backing up. Restoring Outlook mail from Time Machine is not easy.

OP
BudVitoff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
How to set up Mac Mail to use IMAP for Outlook.com - CNET

This link contains an article about making the switch for Mac Mail, and the procedure is a bit hairy because of a certain resistance that Apple has to making changes like this. I didn't get a response to my question about following the same procedure for Outlook.

If you have a couple minutes, could you please take a look and give me your reaction?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mr. Rhee's instructions are straight forward and should work for you. You might want to print out his instructions and have them sitting before you as you go thru the steps. Once the account is setup correctly, you might want to get your contacts app in order and if you do have other devices (iPhone, iPad, Android, etc) make sure they sync up correctly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.