Your Mac's Specs
17'' MBP early 2011
Safari 6.1
OSX 10.8.5
17" early 2011 MBP
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
4gb ram
Intel HD Graphics 3000

As of late I've noticed that youtube has been getting slower on its load video load time and if I try for HD it can grind to a halt on loading. I still get that little spinning wheel in the video window though like it is loading. Even the 240p windows get choppy and the load bar slows down ridiculously. I've tried going to the develop window & clearing the chache. I've tried going through the settings & clicking on the "reset safari" tab & cleared everything but my downloads folder. I have the current version of flash. I've tried right clicking and unchecking the "accelerate hardware" tick box.
Anyone have any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Several things:

How full is your hard drive? And if you have your MacBook Pro plugged into AC, you should be using the discrete graphics chipset not the HD 3000. You do realize that your MBP has dual graphics right? And, you could use more memory.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17'' MBP early 2011
hey chscag!
i believe i have around 250 gb left out of a 700 gig hard drive. I have 1tb external HD for Time Machine…so I do need to clean my HD on my laptop…i just haven't taken the time yet. Yes it is plugged into A/C. is that setting in the system preferences somewhere in "display"? please pardon the ignorance here :\
I have read somewhere about it being dual graphics & dual core & whatnot… I use it for music production & djing although I have been getting into some 3d design with it, but i don't know all the ins & outs of that and optimizing my graphics.
is the 4gb of ram not very good anymore?

not sure if it's worth mentioning, I'm sure it is, but; earlier before posting here while i was searching google I came across another website and a member of that forum suggested trying another browser. I have and have similar results. I highly doubt this could have anything to do with a cap through the ISP on my internet use. I checked speedtest & they came up with 3.84Mbps on downloads & on my iPad it was 11.25Mbps on downloads…. So I'm thinking it's something to do with my macbook pro….I'm just not sure what could be happening...

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17'' MBP early 2011
last night i read somewhere someone had this situation and they took their mbp to the apple bar to meet with a genius & they came down to the conclusion of deleting the wifi profile and recreating it.

after about 30 minutes on the phone with some at&t rep testing my signal strength & whatnot he found that the results i was getting weren't what i should be from speediest.net

so while we were sitting on the phone i mentioned what i read last night in some other forum & he said he's more of a pc guy but if i knew what i was doing then to go ahead.
I turned off wifi, deleted my wifi profile for my router, turned airport back on as well as wifi & reinstated my router. problem solved.

i hope anyone else having issues sees this and gives it a try.

have a great day everyone!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17'' MBP early 2011
well i just thought i'd come back here and update that this didn't fix the issue.

not sure what's going on.. same thing happening with HD not wanting to load more than a little chunk at a time after it has played the previous little chunk.

I'd devote another day or two to looking into this further, but i believe i'll just listen to youtube with lower video resolutions as I have some 3d modeling work to finish for the time being.

if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
As chscag suggested... you need more RAM. Actually, for all the things you do, you should install a LOT more RAM.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17'' MBP early 2011
what about the possibilities of removing all the photos and stuff not directly related to music & whatnot…(the photos from my iPhone are taking up the most space)
could that possibly help things go back to normal? I'm not about to take my mbp to some fly by night computer store to install more ram* (*read as steal my hard drive) and scam me… I've never even considered opening it myself and doing it…hmmm… would that be pretty complicated?
…i hope cleaning my hard drive of pictures & videos idea will help…

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17'' MBP early 2011
i just watched a video on cad software at some weird 1440p HD res, and it loaded fine.

is there a way to determine if I'm even really experiencing any troubles here at all? maybe i just need a new router? some HD videos loaded fine at another location a few days ago...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.