time is incorrect upon startup

PJS

Reaction score
The time displayed is sometimes wrong when I start up the computer. After two or three seconds, the correct time kicks in. The time is always wrong by the same amount, i.e. it's always 2 hours and 25 minutes off. Why does this happen and does it indicate a major problem such as a virus?

I have an iMac running OSX 10.8.5.

Thanks!

PJS

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Couple of ideas:

- Maybe the PRAM battery is going bad.
- Maybe the computer doesn't have the correct time zone chosen.

The correct time is probably "kicking in"…because the correct time is coming from the internet.

FYI…everything unusual with a Mac does not always automatically have to be related to a virus. Especially since…according to experts…there are no Mac virus's in the wild.

* Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why does everyone blame a glitch or error on a virus? No, you don't have a virus because there are none for OS X that are in the wild.

How old is the iMac? Year and model? In the meantime you can try resetting the Pram and SMC.

LOL, Nick types faster than me. Those young fellas have quicker fingers! ;)

OP
P

PJS

Reaction score
Thanks, pigoo3 and chscag.

The correct time zone is selected. I find this behavior troubling because it's an anomaly: the time always used to be correct, and then, for some reason, it started displaying the wrong time. What might account for this change? It's a 2011 iMac. I'll look into Pram and SMC.

Reaction score
Thanks, pigoo3 and chscag.

The correct time zone is selected. I find this behavior troubling because it's an anomaly: the time always used to be correct, and then, for some reason, it started displaying the wrong time. What might account for this change? It's a 2011 iMac. I'll look into Pram and SMC.

You need a new PRAM battery (not to be confused with a PRAM reset). You are lucky. Often the first sign that your PRAM battery has died is that your date and time are wrong. But sometimes the first sign that your PRAM battery is dead is that your Mac will completely refuse to start!

There's good news and bad news about replacing your PRAM battery. The good news is that the battery is common and cheap. It is a CR2032 coin cell that you can get at someplace like WalMart's jewelry department for less than $5. The bad news is that it is a bear to replace. I recommend that you have a repair place do it. If you are handy, here are instructions:

iMac Intel 21.5" EMC 2428 PRAM Battery Replacement - iFixit

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wonder why Apple would even use a CR 2032 coin battery for the PRAM when they could have used a Lithium battery which normally would last 10 years. Yeah, it's no fun getting inside of an iMac!

Reaction score
I wonder why Apple would even use a CR 2032 coin battery for the PRAM when they could have used a Lithium battery which normally would last 10 years.

The CR2032 *is* a lithium battery.
250 x CR2032 Panasonic Lithium Coin Cell Batteries

Normally they last about 5 to 7 years, which is about the life span of a Macintosh.

(A Mac's rotating disk hard drive isn't likely to last longer than this either.)
Backblaze Blog » How long do disk drives last?

But sometimes a CR2032 inexplicably doesn't last that long. It probably varies depending on how you use your Mac and how clean your power is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.