What Files are Safe to Delete?

Reaction score
Every so often my start up reports that it's full after my laptop has been on for a couple of hours. I restart it in then I get 10gb back. I've tried to find out what causes my computer to fill up so fast to no avail. Now I just want to free up more space in the case that this problem persists.

Using OmnidiskSweeper I've singled out folders that are taking up more space than others, but they all seem to be system folders, so I want to know what is safe to delete in the folders.

~usr/share
~bin
~Library/Updates
~Library/Application Support
~Library/Logs

Lastly is there anything I can delete in "private"?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Every so often my start up reports that it's full after my laptop has been on for a couple of hours. I restart it in then I get 10gb back.

This is probably the swap file. When OS X doesn't have enough ram to fully store everything it needs...it "shuttles" some "stuff" to the hard drive...which of course takes up some space.

What are safe things to delete. Your:

- video/movie files
- photos
- documents you created
- music
- applications you installed

Of course don't delete something that isn't backed up...and you want to keep.

When it comes to OS X...I say nothing is safe to delete (unless you REALLY know what you're doing). And at the end of the day...the OS X stuff that is safe to delete...isn't really going to save much space.

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
First and foremost, none of those directories should be messed with. Doing so, might lead to a failed system.

Now the facts, what Mac do you have? How much total disk space do you have? You need to ensure that 20% of the total disk space is free. If you are getting the full message, you need to start clearing things out quick.

When clearing out stuff, ALWAYS start with your home folder. Employ a USB flash drive or external hard drive and move stuff to it..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.