Diagnostics on a MBP Early 2011

Reaction score
I would like to run a hardware diagnostics test on an MacBook Pro from early 2011.

I think there might be a problem with the memory, but it could be something else.

The computer came with 10.6.8, but has since been upgraded to 10.9

I found this KB article about the Apple Hardware Test. My understanding is I need to go off of the 'Using Apple Hardware Test on computers with OS X 10.5.5 to 10.6.8' process since that is what came with the computer.

The problem is, I don't have the CDs anymore and need to find a way to download the diagnostics. I found a link to a page with AHT download files, but it only lists computers that were from the PowerPC days.

Does anyone know where I could download the file or another way to run a hardware diagnostic test? I am more of a Windows guy and wish there was some sort of BIOS option.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't need to dig up your old Snow Leopard disks. All you had to do was read further on in the article and follow the directions given under this title:

Using Apple Hardware Test on computers with OS X 10.7 or later

OP
C
Reaction score
You don't need to dig up your old Snow Leopard disks. All you had to do was read further on in the article and follow the directions given under this title:

Using Apple Hardware Test on computers with OS X 10.7 or later

Hi chscag, I do not believe that is true. That is for computers that were shipped with 10.7 or later

take a look at the following:
Apple KB 1509 said:
Mac NoteBook and Desktop computers shipping with OS X 10.7 or later have a partition on the hard drive or flash storage that contains AHT

My understanding of it is, upgrading the OS doesn't impact the recovery partition which is what stores the AHT.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would like to run a hardware diagnostics test on an MacBook Pro from early 2011.

I think there might be a problem with the memory, but it could be something else.

To be very honest...I've never really had much success/luck with the Apple Hardware Diagnostics that ships with Apple computers. Every time that I can remember using it (when I had a computer with a possible problem)...it never detected anything. So for the moment...let's skip the AHD part.

Why do you think that you have a memory issue (or something else)...what is the problem/symptom(s)?

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My understanding of it is, upgrading the OS doesn't impact the recovery partition which is what stores the AHT.

If you no longer have your Snow Leopard disks and the AHT is not on the Recovery partition, then I suggest downloading the free "MemTest for Mac" from here and run that to check the memory.

If you suspect problems other than memory, I agree with Nick. The Apple Hardware Test is not the best is pinpointing problems. The best diagnostics are performed at your local Apple store by the genius bar. There normally is no charge for diagnostics provided you use a genuine Apple store and not an authorized Apple repair center.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The best diagnostics are performed at your local Apple store by the genius bar.

Thanks for adding that. I meant to say that too.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.