Powerbook Won't Recognize New Harddrive

Reaction score
I just got a pretty nice old PowerBook G4 with OSX 10.5.8. It hasn't been used too much and after a few days, the hard drive decided to start saying "goodbye". I have an extra drive here and put it in my external enclosure, went to disk utilities, erased it and used "restore" to clone it. The new hard drive won't show in as a start disk, internal or external. What am I missing? I realize approaching this with Windows PC logic will just get me into trouble so I'm gonna need some help, please!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How exactly did you restore to the new drive? You said Disk utility. Was the drive formatted OSX Extended Journaled and did you partition it Apple Partition Map?

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
I used Estended Journaled,. and let it do it's thing. It completed and I verified the disk. It said it was ok. It just won't show in the start screen.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Oops! I am so used to helping with Intel I gave you the wrong advice!

Did you partition the drive and under options select Apple Partition Map?

Otherwise it should boot if you restored it the right way, but you should have prepared the drive first before restoring.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Install the new hard drive in your PB and then boot the Powerbook with your Leopard DVD, format the drive and then proceed to install Leopard on the drive. You didn't make the drive bootable which is why it does not appear as a start up disk. And make sure you use "Apple Partition Map" as Dennis advised.

OP
C
Reaction score
My rather pristine PowerBook came in the original box with the power supply still in the original sticky wrap, unfortunately it didn't come with the disks. That's why I was using disk unility to clone it. The old drive may have a couple of more runs left in it, but a couple of hours is about all it'll run at a time. Now that I know what to look for, maybe I'll have more luck.

OP
C
Reaction score
No joy on the old hard drive. It appears to have screeched its last. I've looked at retail OSX 10.5 online and am wondering what I need to watch out for. So far my first experience hasn't been exactly great but not horrible, either.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Retail Leopard disks on line (eBay) can be quite expensive. We've seen them advertised for $90 or more. Ridiculous, but the scarcity of them is what drives the price upward. Keep looking but I think you'll not find one for much less.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.