2014 iMac 27in. safe internal temperatures

Vyn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 GHz i5, GTX 775M
Recently purchased a 2014 iMac with the intel i5 3.4 GHz processor and the Nividia GeForce GTX 775M graphics card. I know that the iMac is known for running hot but I am curious as to what would be considered a safe range for the internal components to be within. I monitor the temperatures frequently using a temp gauge app and have only been concerned with the temperatures during gaming. The GPU is a beast and I was astonished at how good Skyrim looked on it and how high of frame rates I was able to obtain. However, when i minimized the game after roughly 40 minutes to check my temperatures I found that the CPU was right around 80 celsius and the GPU 0 diode at roughly 82 celsius. Are these temperatures to be concerned with? And if not, what temperatures should I be concerned with ever seeing?

Side note: I am using this computer in a room at roughly 70 fahrenheit and it is not in a tight space that would restrict air flow.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are these temperatures to be concerned with?

82°C (about 180°F)...is a bit on the warmer side for an iMac (we usually see these temps more on laptops). But it's ok...since you are gaming. I bet your iMac cools off pretty quickly if you stop gaming.

Apple is supposed to have a built in shut off if it gets too hot.

You could also tweak the graphics settings on your games (reduce quality)...and see how that effects temps.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I know that the iMac is known for running hot but I am curious as to what would be considered a safe range for the internal components to be within.

iMacs are not known for running hot, I don't know where you got that idea at.... but iMacs are the coolest running of all Mac models. I have the same machine as you have and even when running a fairly intensive game the temperature rarely goes over 40 degrees C. Your iMac (which by the way is a late 2013 model, there are no 2014 iMac models) is designed to run cool. Cool air is drawn in from the bottom vents and expelled out the large vent in the back of the machine right below the stand. Your model has one large fan which does all the cooling.

What I'm getting at is this... if the temps you're experiencing are real, then you need to make an appointment with your local genius bar and have them check out your machine. If you purchased it this year it's still under warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As chscag says off to the Apple Store/reseller/Genius Bar.

My 2012 in AUtumn down under, Ambient 25ºC shows CPU at 35º and CPU Diode at 40º. Fan speed is 1199rpm and silent. Are you using iStatPro to read the temperatures.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.