Making the switch from PC to MAC

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to this forum and Macs in general. I"ve had my MacBook for about a year, but literally just figured out how to right click. Any helpful tips to make the switch easier would be sooo greatly appreciated!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How are you Right Clicking? Just curious as there are a few ways. One with the trackpad and another with the keyboard and click.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I"ve had my MacBook for about a year, but literally just figured out how to right click.

I'm going to assume that learning how to right-click on a Macintosh computer wasn't the #1 thing on your to-do list!;) Because with a 5 second Google search...you would have had your answer!:)

No one should take 365 days to learn how to do almost anything on a Mac!:):)

If you have any specific questions...ask away!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi all! I'm new to this forum and Macs in general. I"ve had my MacBook for about a year, but literally just figured out how to right click. Any helpful tips to make the switch easier would be sooo greatly appreciated!

Hi Annabueller - welcome to the forum! :) I'm also an Apple switcher from a year ago (new MBPro & iMac for the wife) - use a trackpad on my laptop - learned to double-click immediately and after a year feel quite comfortable w/ the Apple hardware and Mac OS X.

SO, have to agree w/ Nick in his quote below, i.e. you must have learned a LOT more about your computer and the OS by now? There are plenty of books on Amazon related to the hardware & software (I've probably purchased a half dozen as Kindle editions on my iPad 2) - thus, you need to be MUCH more specific regarding the level of your understanding after a year and ask more directed questions. Dave :)

I'm going to assume that learning how to right-click on a Macintosh computer wasn't the #1 thing on your to-do list!;) Because with a 5 second Google search...you would have had your answer!:)

No one should take 365 days to learn how to do almost anything on a Mac!:):)

If you have any specific questions...ask away!:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! So a specific question would be how to use TextEdit instead of Word. I can't seem to find the settings. Also, when TextEdit comes up, it won't give me a full page. How do I make it big?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone! So a specific question would be how to use TextEdit instead of Word. I can't seem to find the settings. Also, when TextEdit comes up, it won't give me a full page. How do I make it big?

Text Edit is a very very basic word processing app…included as part of the Mac OS install. It is clearly not a substitute for a full fledged app. such as MS Word.

Depending on the settings you're looking for…Text Edit may not even have it.

There are other free options to MS Word…and definitely more "feature rich" than Text Edit. They are:

10 Free MS Word Alternatives You Can Use Today

There is also Apple's Word processing app "Pages". It's not free…but pretty inexpensive.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Air 128gb, iPhone X 64gb, 2013 27"IMac
I went on YouTube and watched videos by David Cox ( don't if that's a bad thing ). It has helped me in learning my IMac.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Nick's right. TextEdit isn't a full-fledged word processor and I suspect it was never intended to be. In some ways it's more akin to WordPad in Windows.

Having said that, TextEdit can do more than some people realize as you can see from this article . It covers the version of TextEdit that shipped with Snow Leopard but the features seem to still be there in the current version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

Well, you've already received some excellent responses indicating the limitations of TextEdit - to expand the window, you can 'drag' a corner to the size desired - also, if you go to the TextEdit menu bar and select Window & then Zoom (blue arrow), a full screen expansion will occur - NOW, this is still a 'limited' word processor, so depending on your needs, review the suggestions and links already given - and Pages is a good Word substitute w/ a lot more features. Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-05-20 at 11.35.04 PM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Having said that, TextEdit can do more than some people realize as you can see from this article . It covers the version of TextEdit that shipped with Snow Leopard but the features seem to still be there in the current version.

You're right:)...Text Edit has certainly gotten MUCH better over the years. I'm certainly at least a little bit bias;)...remembering how in years past...when Text Edit was VERY VERY basic.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Nice idea Dave. Never thought of that method.

@OP If you want TextEdit to open in a larger window try the trick I mentioned in the article I linked to above. I just test it and the following still works for me under Mavericks. You only need to do steps 1 - 3 once unless you accidentally overwrite the "template" file.

1. Launch TextEdit and expand the window to the size that you routinely use.
2. While you're at it make any font changes (size, family, etc.) to get a basic document.
3. Save the document in Rich Text format.

If you put the document (or an alias) in a convenient place use it to launch the program. The window that opens will be the size you set it to and have the font you want. Just be sure to immediately save the new document under another name so you don't overwrite the template.

Reaction score
140524 Mac-Forums on basics

Once upon a time, long long ago, new Macs (not MACs, they are internet licence plates for every and any device that can connect to the internet, even my GPS) came with just superbly produced manuals, elegantly easing a newbie through the basics. No more.

As I tell every single mystified person who asks me how to do something that amounts to Mac-101:

Go to Finder (click anywhere on any tiny bit of desktop you can see, it’s Finder’s, which comes fwd.)
Find the Menu Bar across the top of the screen - every screen - it never moves, it changes at times.
Find the right-hand item of the left group of menu items. i.e. Help.
Ignore Search: Select Help from the Help menu <sigh>
Start at: 'Learn the basics about your Mac'
Select the first item.
Learn it.
Next day select the next item.
Repeat.
Doesn’t take long. Saves years of head-banging frustration that ‘the computer won’t do ‘X’ ‘, etc.

Learn two other things that Apple don't tell you:
Apple set the standards of screen presentation.
Apple don't follow those standards.

As in: The Help page does not usually allow any other page to cover it. Other pages do. Windows are supposed to allow that. So when Help describes some action, and you want to try it out, you have to drag the Help window out of the way first.

As in: Good programmers allow the keyboard shortcut Command-W (aka Cmd-W, Open-Apple-W, Cloverleaf-W) to close an open window. Not Apple.

The answer is to grab say, the top right corner of the Help window's Title Bar (always there, always with the name of the file of folder that it is printed top & centre,) and drag it off-screen, so most of the window seems to hanging somewhere out the left side of the screen. <i>(Not upwards, though, you need to be able to ‘grab’ the title bar.)</i> Other than having a Mac with a huge screen, or lashing out & buying an external screen/monitor to show you more screen real estate, the screen shifting is the best way to use the Help pages.

Still on Help: Every program (a.k.a. application, app, process, tool, etc) *should have it's own Help item/file. Open a new program, and the Menu Bar changes to show that app’s tools. The Help menu should only show the Help entry for that app, but most programmers (coders, code cutters, developers, hackers, geeks, etc.,) leave the basic Apple Finder help item in place, and put their own app’s Help item underneath Apple's. It can be confusing at times.

Other than that, there are some excellent learning tools in the Help collection, and better than manuals as they include some elegantly crisp & clear videos.

Be aware that Apple's help is generally more obscure that Microsoft's, where their Windows OS has very focussed help items all over the place, which relate mainly to the part of the OS that you are in.

Macs are for people who think :) (They need to :D )

Discussion groups such as this one are your friend.

Be aware that there are also discussion groups relating to individual computers, software and sundries at the Apple web site. Apple don't follow those discussions, so feel free to express an opinion.

Glad to have you in 'the family'.

p.s. Bean is a great little word processor, very easy, following correct interface guidelines well (i.e. easy to use) and free. No longer ‘supported’ (the developer has retired) but is an excellent version of a classic early WP, WriteNow. Recommended.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.