I need to buy a new MacBook

Reaction score
What is the difference of MacBook Pro, MacBook Air , MacBook Air with Retina, and I beleve there is a new MacBook coming out with a touch screen , all 13 " . Please no complicated answers as I am not a technical person, just need to make up my mind. THANKS STJARNA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
No technical details .....
MacBook Pro = more raw power compared to Macbook Air
MacBook Air = more portable than a Macbook Pro
MacBook Air Retina = better screen than MacBook Air.

A MacBook with a touch screen is pure guesswork, not confirmed

More info ......Mac - Shop MacBook & Mac Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

Cheers ... McBie

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks McBie,
I have a 7" IPad retina, too small for me as I am too old to learn new tricks and find that just to send an email and try to add an-underline or bold script , change the color of the font it's too much of an hassle to find or even to copy or paste. But I like the touch screen.....I read that this year there will be a Mac Air retina touch screen coming out. Now I would think that it would be like the Mac Air in most ways except the move around touch screen..... Am I right ? I have had the MacBook 13" for the last 6 years but it has given up, so I need another MacBook , I just don't want to buy something now just to find put that in 6 months time there will be a touchscreen MacBook more or less like my old MacBook that I would be happier with.
Many Thanks Stjatna.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
There is a World Wide Developer Conference that Apple is hosting in June , couple of weeks from now.
Usually there will be announcements on new products, but Apple has always been very secret on what they will announce :)

Personally, I bought a maxed out MBA ( Non Retina ) in September 2013 and love this machine.
I all depends on what you use it for.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks McBie,
....... But I like the touch screen.....I read that this year there will be a Mac Air retina touch screen coming out. Now I would think that it would be like the Mac Air in most ways except the move around touch screen..... I just don't want to buy something now just to find put that in 6 months time there will be a touchscreen MacBook more or less like my old MacBook that I would be happier with.

Hi Stjatna - well, until Apple announces that a touchscreen will be added to their laptops, all is guess work, so all that you can do at this point is wait if you indeed insist on that feature. Please read the linked articles which are recent and discusses whether a touchscreen is in Apple's future (Link 1 & [URL="http://www.fastcompany.com/3025446/fast-feed/why-a-touchscreen-macbook-probably-isnt-happening-anytime-soon-according-to-apple"]Link 2[/URL]); however, your question will not be answered, sorry.

For myself, I travel w/ my iPad 2 & a BT keyboard (KB) - this involves typing on the KB and also tapping the screen - personally, I dislike this combination and much prefer typing on my Macbook Pro - just my 2 cents - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
With Apple having the best trackpad on the market never understood the need for touchscreen on a laptop .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am a finger print phobic and find myself constantly cleaning the screen on my iPad. I love the trackpad on my Pro and Air. I see no reason for a touch screen....just one more thing to clean. ;-)

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...and I beleve there is a new MacBook coming out with a touch screen...

Can you point us to where you read about this?

Thanks,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What is the difference of MacBook Pro, MacBook Air , MacBook Air with Retina, and I beleve there is a new MacBook coming out with a touch screen , all 13 " .

There are no MacBook Air models with a retina screen. All MacBook Air models at present have a standard screen. Also I don't know where you got the idea that Apple was coming out with a touch screen?

OP
S
Reaction score
We went online and asked about the latest MacBooks on the market, it said that MacBook Air with touchscreen would be coming out in July. I again phoned ,my son in law to,see,if,I had,got it,wrong RNA.and he said no,he read it,as well. I am in Malaysia and there,might be some mistaken nes from her. Just look at all the dots and commas in my email while writing this , no wonder I want to,get,rid,of my IPad and back on to a,proper MacBook Air. Thanks all, Stjarna

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
We went online and asked about the latest MacBooks on the market, it said that MacBook Air with touchscreen would be coming out in July. I again phoned ,my son in law to,see,if,I had,got it,wrong RNA.and he said no,he read it,as well. I am in Malaysia and there,might be some mistaken nes from her. Just look at all the dots and commas in my email while writing this , no wonder I want to,get,rid,of my IPad and back on to a,proper MacBook Air. Thanks all, Stjarna

Hi again Stjama - just curious if you read the links that I provided in my post? That's about the best advice currently present and is contradictory, so still only a guess.

As I mentioned when on the road, I use an iPad 2 w/ a BT keyboard (KB) which involves a combination of typing (like on a laptop KB) and tapping the screen - if you do not own a BT KB, give one a try - might just fit you needs? Good luck - Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We went online and asked about the latest MacBooks on the market, it said that MacBook Air with touchscreen would be coming out in July.

If this is true...none of us have heard any rumors that Apple would be coming out with a touch-screen laptop computer as early as July. If you read this somewhere...please point us to where this is.

If a touch screen Apple laptop is what you want...then you're going to have to wait until at least July to see if Apple does release it.

And if you REALLY want a touch screen Apple laptop...then there is not really any need to continue this conversation...since Apple does not currently sell a touch screen laptop. So there is nothing to talk about.

But if you want something like a currently available MacBook Pro or MacBook Air...then we can certainly continue discussing that.:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks all, no I don't nessasary want a touch screen, but find it handy to find out about things before. Buying so I don't get disappointed after the fact. I read here from Chscag , that there is no MacBook Air Retina .
Very interesting once again as my husband was in the Apple shop today and phoned me asking which one of the MacBook Air I was interested in and he read the all the options that were on display and one was a MacBook Air Retina 13". He has no idea about computers so My thinking is that he couldn't have made it up. But Thanks for all the valuable advise ! I feel better about making up my decision now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read here from Chscag , that there is no MacBook Air Retina .
Very interesting once again as my husband was in the Apple shop today and phoned me asking which one of the MacBook Air I was interested in and he read the all the options that were on display and one was a MacBook Air Retina 13". He has no idea about computers so My thinking is that he couldn't have made it up.

Currently...there is no retina MacBook Air. It's possible that your husband confused the MacBook Pro for a MacBook Air (they do look similar). Or maybe the computers were mis-labeled at the store.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I am a finger print phobic and find myself constantly cleaning the screen on my iPad. I love the trackpad on my Pro and Air. I see no reason for a touch screen....just one more thing to clean. ;-)

Precisely!
I can just sign my name under this entire statement ;) :Cool:

OP
S
Reaction score
Currently...there is no retina MacBook Air. It's possible that your husband confused the MacBook Pro for a MacBook Air (they do look similar). Or maybe the computers were mis-labeled at the store.

- Nick

Thanks Nick, my husband is quite good at reading, but I find that the young Malaysian school boys and workers that Apple employ at their stores here are less informed and actually quite useless as well , I had the burnt of it buying my first MacBook when I was told that it was the only one on the market, very frustrating later on when I found the others had more portholes. Same when I bought my IPad Retina this Xmas , I had chosen one, but didn't have enough cash with me but popped into another Apple store the day after to buy it , just to find out that the salesman had tried to fob on to me an older version of IPad and not the one I had seen advertised , even tho I had brought the pamphlet with me, they all look so much alike , but the salesman should be able to know the difference . So NOW I ask the for mum . Now I know that there is no Macbook Retina , and no MacBook touch screen coming, which I don't mind, I like the Retina on my IPad, don't like the IPad too much, but my guess is that the MacPro with Retina will be quite expensive. Is there really that much difference between an ordinary screen and Retina ? And Why ? I am living out of town so will have to make a trip to Kuala Lumpur one of those days to look for myself. Best Regards Stjarna.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...my husband is quite good at reading…

I only threw that out there as a possibility. I read well too…but I also make mistakes from time to time (no one is perfect).;) But like I also mentioned…there could have been some mislabeling on the computers at the store.

Now I know that there is no Macbook Retina , and no MacBook touch screen coming…

I've seen this mistake numerous times in this thread…so I thought that I should mention something.

Apple currently does not sell "MacBooks". Apple sold "MacBook's" from 2006 thru 2010. The "MacBook" line of laptops was discontinued in 2012.

Currently Apple sells:

- MacBook Airs
- one model MacBook Pro
- retina MacBook Pro's

What you mentioned above is not correct. What should have been said was...Apple does not sell a "retina MacBook Air" (you said "MacBook retina").

Also…you said no "MacBook touchscreen". Again…Apple no longer sells "MacBooks"…just MacBook Airs, MacBook Pro, and retina MacBook Pro's.

Sorry for being so detail-specific. But when we are talking computers…it's very important to pay attention to the details. Otherwise…lots of confusion can result on an internet forum.

...MacPro with Retina will be quite expensive.

Again…not correct terminology. A "Mac Pro" is a desktop computer…not a laptop computer.

Is there really that much difference between an ordinary screen and Retina ? And Why ? I am living out of town so will have to make a trip to Kuala Lumpur one of those days to look for myself.

This is something you really need to see for yourself. You said above that you like the "retina" on your iPad. So if you like the "retina" on your iPad…maybe you would also like the "retina" on a retina MacBook Pro.:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Nick,
Yes my old MacBook is. 2008 , so you are right.

Don't want desktop so it narrows it down to MacBook Air.....Gee nice not to have to look and worry any longer.

Many Thanks. Stjarna.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't want desktop so it narrows it down to MacBook Air.....Gee nice not to have to look and worry any longer.

Unless you have absolutely decided on the MacBook Air…you still have three initial choice's:

- MacBook Air
- MacBook Pro (non-retina)
- MacBook Pro (retina)

* Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
OK I don't mind you being specific thanks, I got the one wrong , the MacBook Pro with Retina.

Just one last question before I drive you crazy, what is the reason for wanting a Retina ? The only reason I don't like my IPad is the small size and all the different ways of using it and getting to various settings. I found it much quicker to use my old MacBook for almost everything. Thanks Stjarna.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.