IPod Connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2011 27" i7 iMac iPad Air iPhone 6 iPod Classic Sierra
I have noticed that my iPod won't sty connected to my IMac but automatically disconnects after a very short tim.

Can anybody offer an explanation?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Hi,

What iPod have you got? Are there any error messages being thrown up when it disconnects and also have you tried another usb cable to see if it's the cable at fault?

- Simon

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

What iPod have you got? Are there any error messages being thrown up when it disconnects and also have you tried another usb cable to see if it's the cable at fault?

- Simon

It's an iPod Classic only 6 months old. The USB cable I have seems to work OK with my iPhone as it stays connected.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've had the same thing happen with an iPod before and it was because it was drawing too much current from the USB port. It automatically disconnected. However, my iPhone 5c stays connected and charges. I don't know if that's your problem but other than a defective cable I can't think of why it would disconnect like that.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks perhaps I will get a new cable and see if that makes a difference. Did u manage to solve the drawing too much current issue with your iPod.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did u manage to solve the drawing too much current issue with your iPod.

No. At the time I had it plugged into a USB port on my 2008 MacBook. The ports on a MacBook and MacBook Pro or MBA can not sustain that much current draw. The iPod classic and the older iPod "click wheel" draw more current than a Nano, Shuffle, or even an iPhone. Always use the Apple supplied charger to charge your classic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.