• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac Vulnerability?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
After reading about a fourth of the article, I stopped. Lance Ulanoff needs to do some more homework. OS X is not like windows. if he is going to make comparisons. He should stay in the unix family. Most of those type of problems show up in most unix flavors. Look at linux, I get about ten security reports a week on the various flavors of linux. Once again we see the apple verse orange comparison. I know for sure that Apple works very quickly in patching the security hole. So I don't see any crow eating here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
os x isnt bullet proof, but it does have much much more security than windows. various flavors of UNIX are used worldwide and there arent nearly as many security holes as found in windows. bigger user base doesnt mean more viruses, bad programming does.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
in this article from The Register. It rebuts the asenine article over at PC Mag by Lance Ulanoff where he says he's glad that X has a security hole. It's a nice read :p

OP
N

nat

I can't see how this guy can say one default setting on Mac OS X which can be disabled with a few clicks(as demonstrated here), means that Mac OS X is potentially just as insecure as Windows which has hundreds of code flaws and buffer overloads and design flaws that can be exploited by viruses etc. For one this vulnerability can only be exploited if the attacker already has full access to the network on which the target Mac resides and so no virus could be made to exploit it.

Whilst on the subject, here is an example to chuckle about.
Windows the only operating system to give unauthorized root access through a clipart buffer overflow, lol
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/fq00-015.asp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3.2ghz/4TB/16GBram - Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz Intel 2 duo core/4GBram/750GB
Great reading dziner, thank you, very interesting. If I may so bold to some up here, I've been online with my Macs for 4 years, 2 of those years with a broadband service, after thousands of downloads, NOT ONE PROBLEM HERE! My other PC friends haven't been so lucky! Hee Hee, Mac I love you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.