Volume not working on 5S - only shows headphones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
Yesterday, all of a sudden, my phone stopped playing sound through the speakers. When I try to adjust the volume, I get the headphone volume indicator, but the alarm works through the speakers. This means that the phone thinks that the headphones are in there. I tried to clean the headphone port with a q tip, but that didn't work. Any other ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Backup your iPhone first either to your Mac or to iCloud and then attach it to your Mac, open iTunes, and reset it. If that doesn't get back your normal volume control, make an appointment with your local Apple store genius bar. Your iPhone 5s is warranted against defects for one year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I've read about this and usually cleaning the headphone port with a toothpick does the job. Pocket lint, etc gets clogged in there and the phone thinks the headphones are plugged in. It'll take more than a soft Q-tip to fully clean it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.