Macbook Pro Wifi 'No Hardware Installed'

Reaction score
Hi guys, first poster here. Hopefully you guys can help me with my issue (been having alot of problems with it).

I am currently running MacBook Pro 2009 2.8GHZ Core 2 Duo. (Mountain Lion 10.8.5)

Basically the screen was coming apart from the lid, so it needed to be glued back together.
After successfully doing this, I discovered that my WI-FI will not work, coming up with 'WIFI - NO HARDWARE FOUND'.

Initially I thought I did not connect up the wifi card properly, so I disassembled again to find that actually everything is connected fine. there seems to be no shorts or breaks within any of the ribbons and all seems to be sitting normally..

Upon startup, the Wi-Fi would not connect still but I noticed that the bluetooth still works fine (I read that WIFI+Bluetooth are both connected, I may be wrong)..

I tried fixes from doing a PRAM reset, to deleting .com files in Preferences, but no joy..

I have attached some System Profile screen shots that will hopefully shed some more light. I don't wanna go out and buy a new wifi card etc unless I am sure that it is definitely hardware problems..

Thanks so much in advance for the help guys!

Screen Shot 2014-05-17 at 11.28.40.png

Screen Shot 2014-05-17 at 11.28.29.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sure look like the card. Under Software Versions you should be getting hardware details similar to this:-

Interfaces:
en1:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x9A)
Firmware Version: Atheros 9380: 4.0.74.0-P2P
MAC Address: 7c:c3:a1:b1:57:55
Locale: APAC
Country Code: AU
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
Wake On Wireless: Supported
AirDrop: Supported
Current Network Information:
TP-LINK_5GHz_D02EE7:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry, this may be a dumb questions - but where do I look for this exactly?

Under "Network", WiFi, Software Versions.

When you had it apart, did you make sure the antenna was properly orientated and attached? It would be unusual for the Airport card to go south just from re-attaching the display. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual - iFixit and check to make sure everything is assembled correctly.

OP
R
Reaction score
When I click the 'Hardware' tab within Network window, it just seems like it gets stuck and wont open the tab? Very strange..

As far as I know everything was properly attached but I will check the iFixIt link and try reassembling again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
The airport/bluetooth card sits just right of centre under the black clutch cover (this slides to the right and up to remove) at the bottom of the display. On the left side of the board 2 antennas should be connected to it, if one was disturbed the airport hardware would still be seen, but you would have no signal. To the right of the board is a connector on a cable that connects to the logic board just behind the logic board. It's held to the airport card by a black plastic clamp and a single screw. If this has been disconnected its possible to wrongly fit the connector, rotating it 180 degrees, it's not keyed. Doing this damages the logic board causing the airport not to be seen. Hopefully that never happened.

The brown glue holding the rear cover on the display clamshell can fail, this then puts a strain on the alloy frame left and right, causing it to fracture, causing the bottom of the display to open up when the lid is raised. This can distort the alloy casting the the airport card is screwed to for heat sinking, causing it to fail, just another possibility.

Hope you get it resolved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
My 2012 MBP had a similar issue. Mine was a result of the ribbon cable that connects the wireless card and the logic board. Initially I could reseat the cable and it would work for a few days. What ended up being the case was that the welds in the plastic housing that snapped onto the logic board weakened to the point that the failed completely.

I brought it to my local Apple Store (no AppleCare) explaining the issue. The part was $11 bucks and they waived the install fee of $39. I was out the door in 25min.

This is most likely a hardware issue for you as well. The 2012 has a different setup and cable, but the cable certainly could have been damaged just by removing it. I later found my part online for more than I paid at the Apple Store. Even if you pay the $39 diagnostic it might be worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Where you showed us in your earlier post what is reported in Wi-Fi, what I copied appears directly under 'Software Version'. Not there so something is playing up with the Airport Card wether it be the card or as MasWork suggest the cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
The OP's MBP is a 2009 model, it doesn't have a ribbon cable connecting the airport card to the logic board as in newer models. It does have a black cable connecting the airport card to the logic board, but this cable is part of the display clamshell assembly. It's the cable I referenced in an earlier post where if the plug connecting to the airport card is reversed it damages the logic board, then it doesn't see the airport card.

Where you showed us in your earlier post what is reported in Wi-Fi, what I copied appears directly under 'Software Version'. Not there so something is playing up with the Airport Card wether it be the card or as MasWork suggest the cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.