MacBook Air/Pro screen size - coding, external display

Reaction score
Hello,

I am considering buying a MacBook Air 13" for my university years. (I am starting Computer Science this year)

I friend of mine reminded me that it is highly likely that the screen real estate would not be enough. (for coding, the more you have, the better; many people claim at least)

So I wondered if a MacBook Pro 13" would be better. But on the Verge review of the rMBP I found this:

"[about the retina display] It's essentially taking a 1280 x 800 display and displaying four pixels in each spot"
"The problem is simple real estate — 1280 x 800 isn't that much screen space. I can see more on my 13-inch, 1440 x 900 Air than on the 13-inch Pro"

Is it really so? Anyone of you having a rPro and an Air as well? For you, what was coding like on the Air? Is it really so bad?

I just thought that I could connect an external display to the Air. Is it possible, can the Air drive a huge (21"+) display?

If you have any such experience please let me know.

Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
I haven't coded on an Air, but I can comment as follows.

A couple of days ago I played with a MBA and 13" rMBP back-to-back. Honestly, I found the MBA display better. Sure the retina is beautiful, but the res isn't great. You can connect a nice external monitor via the Thunderbolt port in either case.

Further considerations:
-Will you be coding in OS X or do you need to run Windows in a VM? If VM, you'll need a decent SSD (>=256 GB) on the Air. Either way, max. out the RAM - no longer user-upgradeable.
-How big will your projects be? If they're going to be large and involve local database engines, you might want to consider a machine with more horsepower. If a large project + DB stuff to be done in a VM, then even a dual-core MBP may battle.

I develop in Windows under Fusion and ultimately settled for a 2012 15" MBP (hi-res, non-retina) which is an absolute dream.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just thought that I could connect an external display to the Air. Is it possible, can the Air drive a huge (21"+) display?

A 21" display is not huge.;) 22"- 24" external displays are very common. Apple iMacs are 21.5" and 27".

Both the MBA and MBP can drive up to a 30" display (2560x1600).:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.