My Passport Disk Will Not unlock after Update to 10.9.3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac, High Sierra, 32 GB Memory
Did the update and when the computer rebooted, it said the Disk I inserted is not readable. It gave me a choice to initialize the disk and to insert the password to do so. It will not accept the password. I know I'm using the correct password, as I have it written down in a book. So now, I cannot use Time Machine.

When I try to setup Time Machine, it already shows My Passport as my backup disk. Should I remove it and then try to reselect it? Totally lost here.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ALERT!! When you do this update, unplug your WD My Passport drive before you update.

I talked to WD support and did some things, including trying to reformat the drive. The message received when trying to reformat said that the file system was corrupted. In other words, the update "bricked" the drive. WD is replacing my drive under warranty, even though it really wasn't their fault. Great customer service.

The Tech told me they have had several cases of this happening ever since Mavericks came out. They recommend unplugging the drive during all IOS Mavericks updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
I'm a little confused. File system corrupted and they're replacing under warranty? If the file system is corrupted, formatting and/or re-creating partitions will fix the issue - no need to replace the hardware.

Unless your Mac was able to induce some hardware failure on your Passport (which I seriously doubt), I think you experienced HDD hardware failure at the same time as your update. Also, why would WD replace the HDD free-of-charge if the issue was caused by a 3rd party? I reckon the issue lies with the disk.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish I were a little more knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff. Just passing on what happened with the Tech. Evidently, their data base had other occurrences of this happening with Mavericks updates. We ran various Disk Utility functions, I read to him what errors showed up, and he concluded that the disk was bad.

It's odd that Time Machine had just completed a Backup an hour or so before the update and the disk failed immediately when the Mac rebooted with the update. **** of a coincidence.

Guess I'm just glad I don't have to buy a new BU disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
I agree that's it is quite a coincidence and glad you'll get a replacement too! Do you remember if the technician tried to re-create the partition?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Didn't try that. Tried Repair and Erase and both gave errors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.