Mail won't stay deleted

Reaction score
If I accidentally delete a mail and then go into trash and take it back, it moves a bunch of other trashed emails back into the inbox. How do I stop this?

I have Macbook Pro 10.9.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Once you're certain that, all the mail in Trash can be safely deleted, permanently, do this:

ScreenShot2014-05-17at085936_zpsc2e7900f.png~original

i.e. secondary click on any folder in Mailboxes, select Erase Deleted Items

OP
Z
Reaction score
Well yeah that's one way to do it, but it doesn't explain or really solve the issue...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
Are you sure you're only selecting the one deleted email before restoring and not a range?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suspect it's the "right clicking" that's causing the multiple restorations from the deleted mail. It's not necessary to "right click" to restore a deleted email message. Just click on it, hold it, and drag it to the in box and drop it there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
I suspect it's the "right clicking" that's causing the multiple restorations from the deleted mail. It's not necessary to "right click" to restore a deleted email message. Just click on it, hold it, and drag it to the in box and drop it there.

Seeing that OP prefers not to empty the Trash folder, it is very likely that multiple deleted emails have been grouped by conversation, hence multiple restores.

Zeech, if you must keep your deleted emails, try to drag the one you want to restore, from the right pane, rather than the middle one* - if you click on the body of the message and move your cursor to the top, it'll change into a little hand, you can then move the message to desired folder.

* Assuming you didn't tick 'Use classic layout' under Preferences | Viewing

OP
Z
Reaction score
try to drag the one you want to restore, from the right pane, rather than the middle one* - if you click on the body of the message and move your cursor to the top, it'll change into a little hand, you can then move the message to desired folder.

* Assuming you didn't tick 'Use classic layout' under Preferences | Viewing

Thanks, this worked better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, this worked better.

Great :)

I'd still consider going through your deleted emails and erasing everything you won't need ... Perhaps, it is worth considering creating an extra folder, for something you might want to keep, and moving those emails from Trash to that new folder, and then emptying the trash.

I suppose, I'm an old school, but I always keep Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Trash and Junk mailboxes empty - this used to mean faster email program, but probably doesn't matter these days :\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.