Can't install Mavericks

Reaction score
I have a 24 inch iMac running Lion and I am trying to install Mavricks. Message says I can't use my Mac HD drive to install it. Drive has only 13 gigs available, is that my problem?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Hard to say as you have not provided enough details. Apple made 24" iMacs way back to the G5 model released in 2005 which will only run up to Leopard OS X.5, through to a 2009 model which will run Mavericks. Whichever model you do have I am surprised the poor thing does anything with only 13GB free hard drive space. The rule of thumb is a minimum of 15-20% of the drive's capacity free space.

Even if the drive is 100GB it is too full, and much too full the higher the capacity.

OP
P
Reaction score
Okay, sorry about that, this is a intel chip from late 2007, It was a special order. Came with a 320 gig hard drive. I setup both Windows and Ubuntu on it but removed them. I have however been unable to get my disk space back, about 130 gigs. Keep getting the error message "mediakit say to small of disk map" or something like that, when I try to repartition the drive, really frustrating. recently replace the graphics card and the super drive.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Drive has only 13 gigs available, is that my problem?

Assuming your iMac is "new" enough to run Mavericks…yes…having only 13gigs available probably is the problem.

And even if 13gig free was enough…after the Mavericks install the HD would be so full…your Mac wouldn't run well any way. Then you would potentially be blaming the slow perfomrnace on the Mavericks install…instead of the full HD (we get this sort of mis-diagosis all the time).;)

Basically we recommend not allowing an HD to get more than 80-85% full to maintain good performance. I'm afraid you're well beyond that already.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.