Convert iMac into display for MBP, with option to switch back instantly

Reaction score
Hi.

I have two Apple computers. One is a MBP 2012 non-retina, and the other is an iMac mid-2011. (The MBP is my property, and the iMac is company property.)

I prefer using the iMac, but obviously all of my personal content and software is on the MBP. Therefore, is it possible to run the iMac as a second screen for the MBP?

If so, I would like the option to switch the iMac back to it's usual system. For example, I have days at work when I have a lot of down time. During these periods, I'd like to convert the iMac into a second screen for my MBP, simply for the comfort. But, when a work-related task comes up, I'd like to be able to immediately switch the iMac back into it's usual mode.

Also, I'd strongly prefer if files don't cross over at all. I don't want my files jumping onto my work computer, and I don't want work files jumping onto my computer.

Can this be done with the Thunderbolt cable or something?

Thanks!

OP
J
Reaction score
That's really awesome!

One thing that isn't clear is if it will act as a DUAL screen. Hopefully my MBP doesn't go dark when my iMac takes over. I don't have a Thunderbolt cable yet to try it out. Would anyone happen to know?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your MBP will not go dark and yes, you do need a TB cable. You can buy a TB cable from monoprice.com for less than what you would have to pay Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.