8.1 upgrade or HD maintenance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 DUO,8GB,G4SE 8600GT 256,leopard 10.5.8
Hello, I'm posting for a friend about an iMac 8.1 2.4 duo core. 1GB RAM. Snow leopard 10.6.8..... It's pretty slow, assuming its cookies or what not.
I've read about doing HD maintenance but still trying to find/read the details and how to.

Wondering if upgrading to an SSD and 6-8GB of RAM might be a good idea as well. Need the ram to upgrade to mavericks as well. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Throw as much ram at it that it will take I like and use the Crucial scanning tool which always picks the correct ram for the model computer needing the upgrade.
I like SSD but if you need volume then IMO its still priced to high for 500 GB and above.
Download OnyX and run it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Howdy, looks like the maximum amount of RAM your friend can put into that machine is 6gb. Will definitely want about 4gb to get this machine up to scratch especially if they are going to be installing Mavericks on it. Tell him to head to crucial.com to do a system scan, it will then provide information on just how much RAM and also compatible RAM that can be installed.
Also for HDD maintenance, get them to boot into the original installer disk, or if they bought an upgrade disk then boot into that (hold down 'c' whilst starting machine and the disk is inserted), then quit the installer and start up disk management from it, from there a HDD repair and permissions repair can be done.

Hope this helps

- Simon

Reaction score
As said above, run Onyx. Also, how much free space on the drive?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 DUO,8GB,G4SE 8600GT 256,leopard 10.5.8
Thanks much for the great replies,. I'm not sure how much space is left but as her casual use, I'm guessing 60% or more is unused and probably more like 80% unused space. She is a long time (19yrs) customer / friend and its personal use. She's ready to just buy new, cuz its slower than it was new. Which is no big deal. I said if she doesn't want to upgrade it , I'd be happy to purchase.

I was thinking either the samsung 840 or crucial SSD 120GB at 3gbps because that's what her current processor speed is, and the max RAM, but I had a hard time finding a 2 & 4 GB chip individually on crucial site. I sent her the links to do the scan, but haven't heard back yet.

Onyx

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm thinking an SSD may be nice to have...but I don't really think that it's necessary (unless money spent on an SSD is not an issue). This computer definitely needs more ram...and probably needs some HD maintenance.

So get more ram...but before doing anything with the HD...we need to know the amount of gigs used/gigs free on the HD (no guessing)...so we know where we stand. A full or nearly full HD can cause slowness.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.