iPhone 5 Battery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook 2010 iPad 3 iPad Mini 6th Generation iPod iPhone 5 Apple TV I?Apple
iPhone 5 ios 7.1.1 A gremlin has entered my iPhone! It will not hold a full charge for 7 hours! Drains completely~
Have only tried hard reset and fully charging to no avail.
It's out of contract service so here I am asking you for help :).
All replies appreciated!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There could be a few things here. First, your battery could just be old. If you're off contract, I'm guessing the phone is older and thus taken a bit of a beating (I know the 5 isn't that old but if you use it a lot, the battery could be getting rough around the edges). Second, it could be your usage patterns. If you're using a lot of apps that are heavy on resources (mapping, video, gaming, etc.), you're battery life is going to be terrible. What do you do on your phone and how long does the battery last?

OP
debid
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This iPhone was replaced in September 2013. I use it for text and calls. This just happened two days ago. Battery was completely drained while sitting on the counter. I charged it full and it drained within a few hours with no use. BTW Bluetooth not on either. :)
(Was replaced for dropping into water)
Just another Apple mystery.......

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Something is going on with your phone. Have you tried to restore it in iTunes lately? Make sure to backup your data first before you do that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This iPhone was replaced in September 2013. I use it for text and calls. This just happened two days ago. Battery was completely drained while sitting on the counter. I charged it full and it drained within a few hours with no use. BTW Bluetooth not on either. :)
(Was replaced for dropping into water)
Just another Apple mystery.......

Look thru your iPhones settings to see if battery life can be improved via these 26 suggestions:

26 ways to improve your iPhone's battery life | ZDNet

- Nick

OP
debid
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gratitude

vansmith will try the restore if I have to. Thanks so much :)
pigoo3 Will try the CNet things as well~ simply strange it happened so suddenly!
THANKS!

OP
debid
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops! ZDNet. Lol! Thanks again

Reaction score
iPhone 5 batery drain

Hi, a similar thing happened to my brand new iPhone 5s, after only 1 day. However I suddenly realised it was after the phone had auto updated the ios. I connected it up to my ipad mini and itunes to find it updated again, i then let the phone battery go down until it switched itself off and then completely recharged. Also went through the list mentioned earlier for battery life, also started to close the apps properly so there were not working constantly in the background and I am now back to 2 or 3 days before recharging. By the way, like you I use this as a phone and for messaging and take the occasional photo. NO gaming etc.

Hope you manage to resolve your problem but it could well be the IOS version you are using that is causing the problem as it was with mine.

OP
debid
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks lynnspain for the reply. It hasn't been resolved yet. I plan on backup and restore through iTunes today. Appreciate the help! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.