External Drives refuses to mount or show

Reaction score
Hi, after having to reinstall OSX, my external drives wont mount/show up on my Finder nor desktop screen.
When i go into Disc utility, all external drives are showing up and after running disc utility to Verify Disc, it says all is well.
Basically, the mac is recognising my discs within the disc repair, so why not on the mac itself?
I recently used OnyX which i remember 'Repaired the Disc Permissions'. Common sense says this may be the problem. Ive since ran the Mac's own Disc Utility' hoping that it could fault find and revert the permissions back to what they originally were. Unfortunately, even though the disc utility found errors and repaired them with the permissions, it still won't work/mount.
When using one of the drives on the disc utility, when i asked it to verify, it ran the program and at the bottom it says syncing device...
While this sounds promising, its been doing it for close to an hour. The drive is only 160Gb and formatted to NTFS.
To clarify also, ive checked the tick box within preferences of finder to show all external drives. Also without luck.
A strange one as well is the fact that i have an external drive running Time Machine, this for some reason is unaffected and is happily sitting on my desktop working away.

Any suggestions, however simple they may sound, would be appreciated.
Thx

M

MacInWin

Have you tried mounting the drive from within Disc Utility? I believe permissions and Verify do not apply to NTFS formatted drives, so all of that may have been bogus. Also, OSX cannot natively write to NTFS so DU cannot actually do any repair to the drive unless you have a third-party NTFS driver, such as Paragon NTFS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I second using Paragon NTFS, it's helped me alot in the past

- Simon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Disk Utility can not repair a drive formatted to NTFS even if Paragon is installed. You'll need to attach that disk to a Windows PC and run "chkdsk /f" from a command prompt.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi, I downloaded Paragon NTFS earlier, and eventually the drive showed itself on the screen, however, if i remove the drive it takes forever for it to remount onto the screen. Sometimes I've got to mess about with disc utility to try and give it a helping hand.
Paragon doesn't automatically remount it on startup, which is a shame as it looked a good bit of kit. Ive asked their technical help for some advice as well on this subject.
Is there something i should be doing when i activate Paragon as it shows none of my NTFS partitioned drives in its available menu.
On the matter of running check disc on the pc, i have Parallels desktop on the mac. I assume i can check it via that?
Thx

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
On the matter of running check disc on the pc, i have Parallels desktop on the mac. I assume i can check it via that? Thx

Yes, all that's required is a recent copy of Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8) and know how to run chkdsk from a command prompt.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes, all that's required is a recent copy of Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8) and know how to run chkdsk from a command prompt.

Hi,
Ref: running chkdsk /f
When i run command prompt & chkdsk /f, C:\users\r2sma, i get this reply...
Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.
You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

And when i run it from C/, i get this reply...
'CHKDSK' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Any suggestions to remedy?
Thx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.