Questions about Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini,Ver.10.14.6, 3.6 GHz Intel Core i3, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
I've had my Mac since 2009, but just recently upgraded to Mavericks. I did not have my drive backed up so I lost a lot of data because it crashed while upgrading to Mavrericks. I have a new 320GB drive installed now with Mavericks. Some information was retrieved from the old drive, but not everything. I have an external drive 500GB and I am now backing up my drive. Does this back up everything on the drive? Should I always have my external drive connected? What if my external drive runs out of space. I do have some stuff backed up already. I guess if I had backed up everything from my old drive, I wouldn't have to manually input all my stuff. I may have more questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Time Machine will backup everything on your internal hard drive.
Be aware that a time machine backup is not bootable, so if ever you need to restore your complete system you will need to install the OS first and then restore from the TM Backup.
Time Machine will also ensure that your backup drive does not run out of space by deleting the oldest backups when needed.
It is always a good idea to have a bootable backup using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!

Cheers ... McBie

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini,Ver.10.14.6, 3.6 GHz Intel Core i3, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
OK, but should I leave my external drive connected all the time?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you want Time Machine to back up on schedule then yes the drive needs to be connected for that to happen. Some people choose to leave the external drive unplugged as a means of controlling how often Time Machine runs. There is also third party software to control Time Machine for those who feel hourly backups are too much.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind about Time Machine:

1. Some Macs continue backing up even if the external drive is not connected. These local snapshots take up space on the main drive until the Time machine drive is connected again. About Time Machine local snapshots

2. Time Machine backs up everything unless you tell it otherwise.

3. With recent versions of Time Machine you can backup to a network device.

This article will get you up to speed on the basics. It' s five years old (wow) but the basics of Time Machine haven't changed much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.