IMAP and Mail

Reaction score
I'm fairly computer savvy but can't seem to fully understand IMAP. I used POP mail forever, and recently changed over to IMAP. I like the syncing between iMac, iPhone and iPad but there are several items I don't understand. Maybe someone could clear them up for me.
1. When I created a new email on iPhone or iPad I cannot seem to save it as a Draft. It gets deleted. I'm not sure how to set up the IMAP Drafts folders on all 3 devices.
2. I have my Mailbox folders, such as Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Junk & Trash. Then below "On My Mac" folders. Currently my Inbox has 2,000 + emails. If I drag some of those to a newly created folder under "On My Mac" are they then removed from the Server? 3. Under my IMAP "Mailboxes" I have two under Trash = On My Mac and my email / server address. Then below under "On My Mac" I have 2 "Deleted Messages" folders. Why?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.