Need help on some audio problems

Reaction score
I have a super loud headset, to the point that I have to set the output to about 0.003 in Audio MIDI Setup. Is there a simpler way of doing this? It is kind of annoying having to stop what I'm doing to change it to 0.003 everytime I accidentally up the volume to a full blip

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that you started this conversation in the middle.;) Maybe you can start from the beginning & catch us up...so we can understand what you're talking about.:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
I think that you started this conversation in the middle.;) Maybe you can start from the beginning & catch us up...so we can understand what you're talking about.:)

- Nick

Hi, sorry I wasn't clear.
I have a gaming headset, the output is super loud though, if I use the buttons on my keyboard to lower it to 1 little 'blip' (as I call them, not sure what they are technically called) it still pretty much makes my ears bleed (not literally of course). So what I do is I use Audio MIDI Setup to set the volume much lower than 1 'blip', however if I accidentally press the volume up or down on my keyboard, or even the little control box on the wire of the actual headset, then I have to manually go into the Audio MIDI Setup program and type in 0.003 in both ears, which can be very annoying to do if I am in middle of something. Is there any way of doing this in a simpler way?
Thanks for the reply :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello - still not enough information, i.e. what are the specifics of your hardware: 1) Assume you are using an Apple laptop or desktop, if so - year/model; 2) What OS X is installed; and 3) What are the brands/models of your MIDI (if an external device) & head phones? Thanks - Dave :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Hello - still not enough information, i.e. what are the specifics of your hardware: 1) Assume you are using an Apple laptop or desktop, if so - year/model; 2) What OS X is installed; and 3) What are the brands/models of your MIDI (if an external device) & head phones? Thanks - Dave :)

Hi, sorry.
I have a 2011 Macbook pro, I'm running OSX 10.9.2
I don't use a MIDI, I just use Audio MIDI Setup to change my audio.
I am using a Corsair Vengeance 1500 v2, I already contacted them, and they told me they don't provide support for mac users.

Thanks for your reply :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here's a work around that might be less annoying than your current setup. It uses a program called Audio Hijack Pro which is not free but there is a free demo. Once you have installed Audio Hijack Pro try the following:

1. Decide which apps you usually use the headset with. Follow these directions to route audio from this programs to the headset only.
2 Add a filter to reduce the volume to an appropriate level. Those directions do not list all of the filters in this program.

The setup might take some work but only has to be completed once. If you like the result Audio Hijack Pro can be launched as a login item so it is always available.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi, I played around with this for a while, I got the thing to come through my headset when the output is set to my speakers, however, I cannot adjust the audio level, I can move it back and forth, but it doesn't do anything, I've tried setting it lower, then restarted the program, and the program that its hijacking, nothing.

One more problem I forgot to mention earlier, my microphone on the same headset is kind of quiet, is there any way of boosting this?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You should be able to set the volume at 50% on your Mac and then use the volume control on the headset. If the headset volume control will not reduce the volume to zero - then the headset is defective.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.