Other way to zap PRam?

Reaction score
For the past week my Mac has had lots of problems, one of them being that it gives me an error when I try to restart into windows via bootcamp. (Error - You can't change the startup disk to the selected disk. The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk)

I have read that it may fix this error if I reset the NVRAM or the PRAM, but whenever I hold down Command, Option, P,R, it goes straight to the screen for disk utility, re installing OSX, etc. (What you get if you hold down Option and R, I believe) So, because it goes straight into this, it doesn't restart and reset the ram!

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you doing the procedure correctly? Exactly like this:

Shut down your Mac.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to
hold these keys down simultaneously.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

OP
S
Reaction score
Are you doing the procedure correctly? Exactly like this:

Shut down your Mac.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to
hold these keys down simultaneously.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

Yes, exactly like that.

I may add that I am using a 2009 Mac Pro, with a graphics card that isn't "supported". As in, it doesn't show the apple logo when booting, but it still works perfectly! So, I'm not sure if that may be a reason or not.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I may add that I am using a 2009 Mac Pro, with a graphics card that isn't "supported". As in, it doesn't show the apple logo when booting, but it still works perfectly! So, I'm not sure if that may be a reason or not.

You never know…this could be "confusing" the computer when trying to reset the PRAM/NVRAM. Do you have the original Apple video card? If so, maybe you could remove the non-supported card, install the Apple card…then try resetting the PRAM/NVRAM.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
You never know…this could be "confusing" the computer when trying to reset the PRAM/NVRAM. Do you have the original Apple video card? If so, maybe you could remove the non-supported card, install the Apple card…then try resetting the PRAM/NVRAM.

- Nick

Unfortunately, I do not have the original card. I am planing on getting an appointment for a mac expert's help, because I've been trying to fix this since last saturday. They should have the original card!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Depending on how fast you need things repaired. A GT-120 video card should be selling on eBay for under $100 (if you're lucky around $50)…and you're in the US. If the "Mac Experts" charge you more than this…purchasing one could be an option.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
I have been having mac problems for the past month or so, and I have read about doing the Command + Option + P + R thing, but when I do that, it doesn't do the beeps, it instead goes to a repair menu. I have a Graphics Card that isn't supported by mac, so this may be why it does this.

Is there any other way to reset the PRam than the key combination? Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you say "doesn't do the beeps"...do you mean the Mac startup sound?

Yes...that unsupported video card could be causing issues (PRAM reset). Who knows...maybe it's causing the "main" problem you have as well.

As far as NVRAM/PRAM reset. You didn't say what Macintosh computer model you have. But depending on what it is...(laptop, desktop...old or new)...you can remove the battery (laptop battery or desktop PRAM battery). Then let it sit for a while to let things completely discharge.

- Nick

p.s. I guess I should assume that this is a desktop computer of some sort...since you mentioned the unsupported video card.;) Older or newer I have no idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How are you trying this reset?

Reboot and before the chime hold down Command Option P and R all together and keep held down until third chime?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And let's stop cross posting and double posting the same question. I've combined your posts together here. It's the same subject so it should be in the same thread.

OP
S
Reaction score
How are you trying this reset?

Reboot and before the chime hold down Command Option P and R all together and keep held down until third chime?

Yeah, that's the way I'm trying to reset, but whenever I try that, there are no chimes what so ever (There is the noise of the Mac starting, though)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, I do not have the original card. I am planing on getting an appointment for a mac expert's help, because I've been trying to fix this since last saturday. They should have the original card!

This post was 13 days ago...what was the outcome??

You should REALLY continue this conversation in the same thread that you started on 5/2/14 (since we are taliking about the same exact problem & computer)...and not start a 2nd thread. It can be pretty darn confusing!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.