Macintosh HD Sharing & Permissions Change

Reaction score
Sharing & Permissions change has crashed my system (MacBook Pro - 10.9.2). I have been to Apple (not much help) to try and correct the permissions error, with no luck. I have also reloaded the OSX 10.9.2, but no luck. I have run Disk Utility numerous times to correct the permissions errors, with no luck. My next step is to wipe the system and start fresh again. Certain programs work while others won't even start, while others will give a permissions error pertaining to the applications folder. I went into the CLI and did a chown/chmod with 777 and this did nothing to correct the problems.

Can anyone tell me what the Sharing & Permissions settings are suppose to be on the MacBook Pro (2014) Version: 10.9.2 for the volume Macintosh HD? I have the current settings:
- system -- Read & Write
- wheel -- Read Only
- everyone -- Read Only

The strange thing is when I created a new user account, everything works correctly, but I have new names and sharing & permissions settings; they are as follows:
- test (me) -- Read & Write
- staff -- Read Only
- everyone -- Read Only

Thank you for any support and/or information anyone can provide me.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Let's back track for a moment. What did you change the permissions on initially?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
It will also help us to "help you" if you tell us the reason you made the change? ie, to accomplish what?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.