Mac Book Pro Projection Issue

Reaction score
My slide programs are 1024x768 jpegs at 72ppi that I run through Adobe Bridge's Slideshow. They look beautiful on all my computer screens and look good projected using my older Mac Book laptop using the DVI/VGA cable. The projector I am using is a Hitachi CPX5. Now ... I have a new Mac Book Pro laptop that utilizes the different newer type cable (mini display port/VGA) and the projected jpeg slides just don't look as good as they do with my older laptop. This is very frustrating because one reason I bought the new laptop was for presentations. I tried all the different resolution settings including 'best for projector'. The images look more pixelated or contrasty (like a low res image has been over-sharpened) with the new laptop. Any ideas why it looks better with my old (slow) laptop?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your slide show should look as good or better from your new MBP provided you're using the correct adapter and cable to input to the projector. You need to tell us which MacBook Pro you now have, year and model. And which program did you use to create the slides?

OP
D
Reaction score
Mac Book Pro Projection Issues

• I am making my slides InDesign and exporting as best quality jpegs at 1024x 768 sRGB (Looks beautiful on old laptop, Apple cinema display and projected with old laptop.)

• I have a Mac Book Pro 10.9.2 / 15 inch mid 2012 / 2.7GHz Intel Core i7 / NVIDIA GeForce GT650M 1024MB

• I am using the mini display port to VGA Adapter to hook to a Hitachi CPX5.

• I am showing the slides thru latest Adobe Bridge's Slideshow feature and have tried various settings such as scale to fit, scale to fill, centered. (Worked beautifully with old MacBook laptop.)

• In system preferences display there is a choice for 'best for projector' when hooked to the projector, or the 3 resolutions; 1680x1050, 1280x800, 1152x720 (no 1024x768) and I tried all 4 of the settings.

• The projected images look bad ... very contrasty and either pixelated or kind of like an over-sharpened low res image.

• Settings in the projector did not solve the problem and I went back to using my old computer which is very slow. I bought the new for slide presentations!

I hope someone can help ... thank you very much.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
• In system preferences display there is a choice for 'best for projector' when hooked to the projector, or the 3 resolutions; 1680x1050, 1280x800, 1152x720 (no 1024x768) and I tried all 4 of the settings.

I think that's the center of your problem. You're unable to send at the native resolution of your projector which is 1024 x 768. I realize using a projector with a higher resolution is very costly. And I have no idea what resolution setting is being sent to the projector when you choose "best for projector".

Having never used InDesign or Adobe Bridge (I use Powerpoint) I can't comment on how to make the image any sharper. But I suspect the fault is with the resolution you're projecting at. It's likely your older MacBook Pro was better matched to your Hitachi projector.

Something I forgot to ask previously: Does your MacBook Pro correctly identify your projector in "Displays"?

OP
D
Reaction score
The laptop recognizes a projector and allows you to check 'best for projector' but I am not sure if it is specific.

The weird thing is I did a demo in Photoshop at the highest resolution and it seemed to work OK.

All my slideshows are 1024x768. So now I can't use them on my new MacBook Pro? Most projectors at venues where I might present will have a 1024x768 projector won't they?

I am wondering if in the display set-up under the color tab, what does the calibrate button do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The laptop recognizes a projector and allows you to check 'best for projector' but I am not sure if it is specific.

Recognizing that a projector is attached is not the same as recognizing that a Hitachi CPX5 is attached. Also I'm wondering if the problem isn't with the adapter you're using? Are you using an Apple MiniDisplayPort to VGA adapter or another third party adapter?

Are there any other adjustments that you can make, perhaps on the projector itself? Have you gone through the projector setup menu to see if there are any?

As for the color calibration utility, that will be for adjusting the color quality on an external monitor.

Most projectors at venues where I might present will have a 1024x768 projector won't they?

Yes, although occasionally you may run into one with a higher resolution.

OP
D
Reaction score
I need to borrow my friends projector to see if it recognizes Hitachi specifically. Yes, we tried different projector settings and there were none that helped this problem.

I am using an Apple cable. I don't think that is the problem since it worked OK when I did my Photoshop demo and the highest resolution setting.

I am very upset about this since I bought the laptop for presentations. I have 3 slideshows that are 1024 x 768. :-(

Reaction score
calibration with a colorimeter

You can calibrate a projector display image using a spyder. will work with the elite version (Spyder4ELITE).

You place the sensor on a tripod facing the reflecting display and go through the software wizard. It will also give you indications for the proper settings on the projector.

This is how I do for presentations where I need to rely on the colors to show my portfolio.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.