Switched disk bays, now can't boot Windows 7

Reaction score
Hello gents!

I got a mid-2012 macbook pro with a data doubler. Usually I roll it with SSD on main bay and HDD on optical bay. I've ran into some issues, had to disassemble the whole thing and then I realized the HDD should be placed on the main bay, to reduce vibrations and help with the motion sensor thing.

So I switch the disks' positions and now my SSD, which has both MAC OS and WIN OS, won't boot windows 7 at all. OS X boots just fine. The weirdest thing is when I leave ONLY the SSD installed, even on the optical bay, windows boots fine too! The problem only occurs when I connect the HDD.

So recap, SSD main bay, HDD optical bay: boots fine OSX and WIN 7.
SSD solo boots both OS and WIND 7 fine no matter where.
SSD optical bay, HDD main bay: OS X boots fine, WIN 7 tells me there's no bootable drive.

Is Windows so dumb that it won't search the optical bay for OS when there are 2 disks?

Or is it because I had installed windows with the disks arranged one way and windows is also dumb that it won't allow me to change that?

How to fix this without formatting and reinstalling windows again?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please read through the following thread and pay close attention to the replies. His situation was the same as yours. LINK

OP
D
Reaction score
Please read through the following thread and pay close attention to the replies. His situation was the same as yours. LINK

Thank a lot bud. Fast and efficient! I´ll keep the SSD with windows 7 on the main bay from now on.

Now could you still help me with an arising issue? My HGST HDD probably has no SMS. If I leave it in the optical bay, which doesn't have motion sensors as well, will the HDD be in trouble, meaning can errors arise from it not being in its comfy main bay?

And regarding the SSD, should I turn of OSX's SMS feature to prevent the main bay from trying to lock it, in order to avoid possible errors as well?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now could you still help me with an arising issue? My HGST HDD probably has no SMS. If I leave it in the optical bay, which doesn't have motion sensors as well, will the HDD be in trouble, meaning can errors arise from it not being in its comfy main bay?

No, it should be OK there provided you don't go jogging with your MacBook Pro strapped to your back or backpack. In other words, be gentle with your machine and it should be fine.

And regarding the SSD, should I turn of OSX's SMS feature to prevent the main bay from trying to lock it, in order to avoid possible errors as well?

No, that's not necessary. The SMS can't lock your SSD anyway since an SSD is not a spinning drive. So no problem either way.

OP
D
Reaction score
No, it should be OK there provided you don't go jogging with your MacBook Pro strapped to your back or backpack. In other words, be gentle with your machine and it should be fine.

So I shouldn't start to look for another HDD with built-in SMS you think? Not worth it?

No, that's not necessary. The SMS can't lock your SSD anyway since an SSD is not a spinning drive. So no problem either way.

Out of curiosity, why does the great majority keep saying it's a good idea to turn it off when SSD is on the main bay? Are they just reproducing dumb ideas without any real knowledge?

edit: I found this page telling me to apply these SSD hacks. http://www.yourdailymac.net/2012/01...-an-ssd-in-your-imac-macbook-pro-and-mac-pro/

Do you think I should still apply all of them nowadays? Or maybe none at all?

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.