External monitor not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
Hi,

I just recently had problems with my external monitor not working. It was working just fine until today.

My mac can recognize the external monitor. The monitor shows up then 1 second later it goes to black. I'm using a vga connector.

I have a white mac book.

Any help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check the VGA adapter and cable. Sounds like one or both may be loose or defective.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
I tested the mac adapter on another vga cable and it still shows up for 1 sec and then turns to black screen.

I also tested the external monitor on a pc and it does the same thing, shows up 1 sec then turns to black screen.

The monitor is still on because I can see the red light on the power button.

I don't know why this is happening but if the monitor is broken, it should not even turn on.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, it sounds like the monitor may be having problems. Rarely does a monitor go out, so I would suspect the connector on the monitor itself. Check the connector to see if any pins are bent or if it's loose. Also check the AC power plug and cord on the monitor since it could be losing power intermittently and causing it to go black.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did some further research and my problem has happened many times. The root of the cause is hardware with the Samsung monitor. A capacitor is more than likely blown. I would have to open up the monitor to see.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone know where to purchase capacitors from? I have a samsung.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone know where to purchase capacitors from? I have a samsung.

Radio Shack is your best bet for purchasing small parts such as capacitors and resistors. Otherwise going on line and looking for electronic suppliers is what you'll need to do. Also check out your local yellow pages for electronic parts stores.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Radio Shack is your best bet for purchasing small parts such as capacitors and resistors. Otherwise going on line and looking for electronic suppliers is what you'll need to do. Also check out your local yellow pages for electronic parts stores.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I just took apart the monitor. All the capacitors on the supply/inverter board look fine. None are bulging or look disfigured from what I see. They are sam young. Should I just go ahead and replace all of them?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Capacitors are almost impossible to check while in circuit (soldered to the board) because of current paths. Shorted capacitors are not uncommon in power supplies but they'll usually cause a fuse or built in circuit protection to trip.

The blacking out of the monitor may not be from a defective capacitor. There are other power supply components that can cause the same thing to occur. What would be great is if you could find another power supply for the monitor and swap it out with the old one.

But I guess if you're good at soldering and un-soldering components and feel up to it, you could replace all the power supply capacitors. Electro caps are usually the ones that fail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
Samsung TVs I know from around 07 had problems with capacitors. Our family TV had this little board with capacitors replaced under warranty in our house. The TV would constantly turn on and shut off. Maybe the same type of problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.