' macintosh hd' not showing at startup or disk utility

Reaction score
Hello. Everything was working fine last night until this morning when I went to wake my computer up out of sleep mode. I noticed the login screen was frozen so I restarted the computer and then was greeted by the osx utilities screen. Went into disk utility and it only showed my hard drive and disk0s2, not macintosh hd.

I went in to the apple store and they basically said they couldn't do nothing further more than to I guess reinstall osx and referred me to a data recovery place who was charging more than I expected to try and recover my data. I was wondering if there is any software that would help me recover anything (diskwarrior?) being that I do not have an recent back up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No backup is bad bad news!

Maybe Data Rescue 3 at $99 will help. Download the demo and see what it may be able to recover if full version purchased. Data recovery can run into the thousands!

OP
H
Reaction score
Yeah I know :(

The only problem with downloading the demo is, how would I run it on my computer? Wouldn't I need like a boot cd? Also, I'm wondering if I would be able to access anything in target disk mode

OP
H
Reaction score
Ok so I had tried the target disk mode with another Mac and what popped up was 10.9 recovery drive, does that mean the data is completely gone or just locked somehow? the 'disk0s2' is still greyed out and when I tried using my external to boot with a old backup i had of a previous macbook it wouldn't show. wondering if that was dude to the osx being a older version than the new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Use the Recovery to go into Utilities > Disk utility and run Repair Disk to see the state of the hard drive.

OP
H
Reaction score
this is what comes up

23tmfmd.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Needs replacing period!

And that no backup is really going to hurt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.