UK Grid reference needed

Reaction score
Hi All,
Can someone please suggest a good UK grid reference download for my iMac mountain Lion.

Phil

OP
P
Reaction score
Is this one any good: Grid Reference Finder?

Hello David,

Thank you for that,but this is the one that I already had and decided to remove, as it just doesn't seem to respond properly on my mac. I previously had it on my old windows xp p.c. before moving to mac and it worked just fine on there,but I don't believe there is a version that is compatible with mountain Lion OSX

Regards,

Phil.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
But it's just a website, there's no app to download?

If you find that a site doesn't respond correctly to your input, have a look at software components on your system, such as JavaScript, Flash, Java, etc, etc - making sure everything is up-to-date and secure.

Also, some sites are just badly coded and only tested on IE and, perhaps Firefox. I've experienced a few, that will not work correctly, when viewed in Safari, but were fine in Opera or Firefox. I keep Opera browser for that very reason on my MBPro, and Firefox within my Linux virtual machine on the same system.

As far as the grid ref site above, it looks okay on my Safari 7.0.3 on OS X 10.9.2, although I have no comparison base, as I've never used it before:

ScreenShot2014-05-13at093948_zps1df092bb.png

Is that how it supposed to look/work?

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi David,

Just a website,not an app...yes of course. I had it as a saved bookmark and removed it as I said,due to it being unresponsive in parts. The screenshot you show is how it should look,but is not quite how mine looks...there are always one or two ordinance survey points missing and I am unable to select further pin points within the area showing,something that I had always been able to do on my old p.c.

This could be due to Java etc needing an update...as you say...I will look into that.

Many thanks for your help.

Phil.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Hi Phil,

Not at all :) There are a couple of ways you can approach this problem, as far as I can see:

Depending on the level of interaction between this site and others, that you might require, you could try setting up say, Opera or Firefox with the home page set to the grid finder site, and use it as a single purpose browser, almost like an app. This is, of course, after upgrading your Safari plugins and extensions*, and providing it still doesn't work correctly for you. You'll find both Opera and Firefox in your AppStore and they are free.

You might want to consider upgrading your system to OS X Mavericks (10.9), which will bring an updated version of Safari, that appears to be working fine with the site, as shown in my screenshot. Again, the upgrade is free and I cannot recommend it highly enough: Mavericks is just great (my MBP is nearly four years old, and I have a number of Linux apps running, so it wasn't an easy decision, but really glad I did go for it).

* I'd start with the Flash player plugin - make sure you have an up-to-date version - at least 13.0.0.206, the latest is ...214, otherwise Safari might be blocking some code, for your own protection.

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
Hi Phil,

Not at all :) There are a couple of ways you can approach this problem, as far as I can see:

Depending on the level of interaction between this site and others, that you might require, you could try setting up say, Opera or Firefox with the home page set to the grid finder site, and use it as a single purpose browser, almost like an app. This is, of course, after upgrading your Safari plugins and extensions*, and providing it still doesn't work correctly for you. You'll find both Opera and Firefox in your AppStore and they are free.

You might want to consider upgrading your system to OS X Mavericks (10.9), which will bring an updated version of Safari, that appears to be working fine with the site, as shown in my screenshot. Again, the upgrade is free and I cannot recommend it highly enough: Mavericks is just great (my MBP is nearly four years old, and I have a number of Linux apps running, so it wasn't an easy decision, but really glad I did go for it).

* I'd start with the Flash player plugin - make sure you have an up-to-date version - at least 13.0.0.206, the latest is ...214, otherwise Safari might be blocking some code, for your own protection.

Hi again David,

Thanks again for these suggestions and Flash player Link,I will check which one I have and update if not the latest. Did look into installing Mavericks a while ago,but then read that some people were having some problems with it so didn't bother...but might give it a try after your recommendation though. I have the late 2012 iMac(bought May 2013)

Regards,

Phil.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did look into installing Mavericks a while ago,but then read that some people were having some problems with it so didn't bother...but might give it a try after your recommendation though. I have the late 2012 iMac(bought May 2013)

Your hardware can certainly handle the upgrade, just make sure you backup your data and apps, etc. There are some excellent guides on this forum as to how to upgrade to 10.9.2 trouble-free. Basically, backup with TimeMachine, do a fresh install, and restore your user settings from TM. I'd also do a CCC clone of the entire main drive, just to be on a safe side.

As far as reported problems - as with anything new, we mostly hear from people having problems (often due to not following instructions), even though it's a very small percentage of the overall number of users.

PS I have no idea why, the HTML is not working in this message

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
Your hardware can certainly handle the upgrade, just make sure you backup your data and apps, etc. There are some excellent guides on this forum as to how to upgrade to 10.9.2 trouble-free. Basically, backup with TimeMachine, do a fresh install, and restore your user settings from TM. I'd also do a CCC clone of the entire main drive, just to be on a safe side.

As far as reported problems - as with anything new, we mostly hear from people having problems (often due to not following instructions), even though it's a very small percentage of the overall number of users.

PS I have no idea why, the HTML is not working in this message

Thanks for all of your helpful advice David.

Best Regards,

Phil.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.