Unable to boot HDD in either Windows 7/Maverick

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm having trouble booting my 13.3 inch Macbook ( late 2008 model) in either Windows 7 pro and/or the Mac side in which I recently updated to the new Maverick OS. The screen freezes at the apple icon logo on the Mac side. On the Windows 7 side, it just freezes at the Microsoft emblem. I have looked all over the internet to try and research this problem. I currently have a Samsung 640GB hard drive installed (HM640JJ). Has anyone had this problem before or can tell me what I need to do? I have tried to backup using the Recovery option on the Macbook side and I even tried to reinstall windows. Windows almost completed the full installation but froze during installation at the last 99%.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you run a verify on the Samsung hard drive? You can do that either from your original installation disk (probably Leopard) or from the recovery partition.

OP
H
Reaction score
I'm not able to go into either windows OR the mac OS side. It freezes up every time. I did plug in the SATA drive into my PC and the PC was able to read the windows side without any problems. I purchased another 500GB hard drive and installed it. However, now I am not able to get Airport to recognize my wireless networks!

I have never had this many issues with my macbook!

Anymore ideas? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Charlie advises popping the system DVD in, booting and hold down 'C', leave the Installer and go to Utilities > Disk utility > Repair Disk and see what is reported as your hard drive may or has failed.

If you are using Lion OS X.7 or later, your thread does not provide this vital information, use Recovery to check the hard drive. If you are unclear on using Recovery post back.

OP
H
Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to mention that after I had heard about Maverick OS, I went ahead and updated my mb from snow leopard to Maverick.

Just now I followed your instructions but when rebooting, my computer still manages to freeze at the apple logo screen. (I reinserted the Samsung 640gb drive). My macbook does the same thing with my new drive as well. I was able to bypass the freezing screen by pressing "C" upon restarting. This appears to work most of the time.

Anyway, repaired the disk and using disk utility like you had stated and it states that the volume Macbook appears to be ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What does SMART Status in Disk Utility say about the condition of the drive? Hopefully when you select the drive, not the partition, in Disk Utility it will say 'Verified'. It never lies!

OP
H
Reaction score
I might have done that wrong. When I repaired the disk the last thing it noted was the drive was "ok". I don't recall a "verified". In any case, I have been searching the internet for a resolution without success so I am currently reinstalling the original Leopard that was on my computer when I purchased it. This will be my 3rd time. Everything has been working with each install with the exception of the Airport utility and ethernet port on my computer and therefore, I have not been able to access the internet. Any idea why this is?

Thank you for everyone's help so far.

Last edited:
OP
H
Reaction score
I called Apple for support. They told me to at the very least reinstall snow leopard (which I did). Now my ethernet port miraculously works. . . . however, now my airport card still doesn't work. In fact, when I hover over the icon, it states "airport card not installed". What the heck???? Does anyone know anything about this or how I can remedy this? I have searched over the interne and read things on reseting the SMC and PVRAM (?) but still nothing has worked; unless I am doing this all wrong. Some more advice would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.