Os X Slow Across Network

D

dbeat99

I posted this quite some time ago in the Apple Forums and received no answers:

Hi,

We get the spinning ball when we access files across the network from Os X (10.3.9) machines to a Win 2003 Server.
It seems that the more files there are in the folder, the longer you see the ball, our Fonts folder can sometimes take up to 2 minutes before you can scroll to the bottom of the folder. This happens after a computer restart or a program restart.
We now have a new network printer and whenever we try to access the Printer Specific Options, we also get the spinning ball.
Does anyone know of a fix for this issue, as it is quite annoying?
Also, This does not happen on os9 classic.

Thanks in advance,
David

OP
J

JunMacTech

So I guess that you have ruled out the obvious, Bad Network cable, bad drop, all that easy stuff. One thing I would do is talk with your network administrator and find out how the ports are wired. We had a building that suddenly had the same type of issue with the Macs running OS X. After two weeks of trying to find something wrong with the macs, I found out that Network Services replaced the 100MB switch with a 10MB hub. Lets just say the macs didnt like it. Spinning beachballs and dropped connectivity. Moving the macs back to the switch fixed the problem. Also OS 9 machines were unaffected.

This is a tough one to figure out without knowing your individual network setup. I had to play for weeks just to get Panther settings to work seamlessly on our network. Then Tiger came out. Had to change some settings then. Good luck and I hope that you can figure something out.

OP
D

dbeat99

HI,

All of the cables are good and the cables plug directly into the 100mb switch so that rules out 100mb vs 10mb mixtures. I just double checked all of the cables and they all are Cat 5. I never thought about the cables not being Cat 5 until I read your post.

Thanks,
David

OP
J

JunMacTech

dbeat99 said:
HI,

All of the cables are good and the cables plug directly into the 100mb switch so that rules out 100mb vs 10mb mixtures. I just double checked all of the cables and they all are Cat 5. I never thought about the cables not being Cat 5 until I read your post.

Thanks,
David

Are you using local authentication or do you log in via Active Directory?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
What is your connection protocol? AFP, SMB etc.

Use AFP if you can.

OP
J

JunMacTech

dbeat99 said:
Actually, I am using AFP.

Hrmm interesting, I have to use samba every time I try to connect to any windoze box. Have you tried using samba instead?

OP
D

dbeat99

I did a search for Samba and I don't have it on my machine, I'm guessing that Samba is a 10.4 program.

OP
O

okgsds

Have you had any luck with this? I am actually having the EXACT same issue when copying files from 2003 server.

OP
O

okgsds

WOW.. it does have something to do with Windows 2003! I just copied the same file to a Windows XP box and it copied in normal time

OP
D

dbeat99

Hey,

I have connected via SMB and all of our fonts appear as Unix executable files. Are there any settings I need to change to fix this?

David

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.