itunes messed up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 15" MBP 8GB RAM 500GB SSD+500GB HDD; Mac Mini (mid 2011) 16GB 500GB SSD + 500GB HDD
All of the content for itunes has disappeared for a user- I think it is since an itunes update. I looked at this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1967

...but it does not work- I cannot delete the itunes library file and dragging to desktop as article suggests merely makes a copy.

All of the media is present within the folders.

How do I get this up and running? Advice please.....

Thanks

C

chas_m

If dragging the iTunes Library produces a copy, then the iTunes Library isn't where it should be located.

It's normal location is in your home folder, under Music.

Have you tried opening iTunes with the option key held down, and then pointing the resulting dialog box to where your iTunes Library is located?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 15" MBP 8GB RAM 500GB SSD+500GB HDD; Mac Mini (mid 2011) 16GB 500GB SSD + 500GB HDD
I'm not at that computer now, but the file is where you describe. Within that folder there are further folders containing the media (as organised by itunes itself). I can browse to those files and if I double click on them, they get added to itunes (there are thousands of music files).

I have tried the alt-click and if I open the library file in that way, it makes no difference- I get an empty library. I tried clicking the big "scan for media" button and nothing happens?

It may be that this has happened since I upgraded to Mavericks- this user does not use itunes very often. When I upgraded, I installed to a fresh disk.

Last edited:
OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTunes is misbehaving; all the media files are there, but iTunes can't see them. I want to delete the lot and start again. I have copied all the music files to another location, but I cannot delete the files. Whenever I right-click on a file the "move to trash" option is missing. Its driving me mad- i don't want to play with computers, I just want to play some music aaaarrrggghhhhhh!!!!! <rant over>

Can anyone help please....

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still stuck....

I still can't make it work. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please?

Still no content in iTunes, even though all the files are sitting on the disk in the iTunes folder. I think its something to do with file permissions because I can't delete them. I had thought of deleting everything and then putting the media back, but I can't even delete the files.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's keep this thread all in one place. Cross posting just causes confusion and multiple answers to the same question. I combined your posts all in this thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.