mid 2010 27" imac still worth buying? for $675

Reaction score
I was just going to buy a used imac and was just wondering if it would still be worth it or if i'd be better off getting a new mac mini or macbook air? the specs are 3.2 ghz intel i3 processor, 4gb ram, and 1TB HDD

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes.

- Nick

p.s. And BTW...you shouldn't put the whole question in the thread title...and then ask more questions in the posting. Just makes things confusing.

Reaction score
I think it all depends on cost.. My iMac is a late 2009 i5 2.6GHz and performs well. The RAM on the machiney ou are considering may be a little low but that you can upgrade at small cost. I'm struggling to find a reason to upgrade my . Only advantage would be some processor intensive tasks would be quicker ( FCPX rendering) but everything else I'm not sure I need a faster machine.

The Mac Mini is a good machine, and has the latest USB3 and Thunderbolt connections. Do you need/want these. Do you already have a monitor, and is it in good condition, else you'll need to add this to the cost of ownership.

If the iMac is in good condition the price should be competitive. It also depends on what you want to do with it. can affect your decision as well as the price.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think it all depends on cost.. My iMac is a late 2009 i5 2.6GHz and performs well. The RAM on the machiney ou are considering may be a little low but that you can upgrade at small cost.

Of course it depends on cost...everything depends on cost. OP already told use the asking price is $675. We know the cost.

What you're not factoring in is the value of the 27" display by itself. The display used is the same as the 27" Apple Cinema Display/Thunderbolt display. A new 27" Apple Cinema display costs $999. Of course a 27" iMac display doesn't have some of the convenience features of the 27" display.

But for $675 you get a great 27" Apple display with a computer inside!:) Price what you can get (used Apple computers) for $675...and you'll see what a great value this is.

This 27" iMac is actually worth closer to $1000. So $675 is a great deal!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The iMac is a fair buy. If you do go that way suggest boosting the memory up to 8GB and then installing Mavericks OS X.9 on it.

C

chas_m

I would certainly buy one at that price. Obviously it will depend on how you intend to use that will determine whether its a great deal for you (for example, if you're a hardcore top-drawer gamer this might not be the machine for you). For any sort of typical user, I think that's a sweet machine at a great price, assuming everything works properly etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.