Something is terribly wrong!!!

Reaction score
HI-
Yesterday at my school campus, my mac ( mac book pro-2011- OS 10.9.2) went blank and shutdown. When it came back on- the clock was messed up-I shut it down properly and the clock went fine.
I noticed that ALL websites that I kept myself as logged in, are asking me to login back again. as If my cache was cleared!
I felt kind of strange and started to change my passwords.
BUT ::: even with the new pw, websites are kicking me out and asking me to login again...
Is it possible that some one hacked into my computer or whatever virus !!! and it is reading or over writing my keychain? it is strange!

C

chas_m

No, you don't have a virus. No, nobody has hacked into your computer.

Most likely, you have a hard drive that's failing or a directory that's corrupted. Your keychain may also be corrupted.

I assume you've been keeping backups using Time Machine or something like that. If you have a bootable backup, you might try booting from it to see if the problem exists there, and consider just wiping and restoring the hard drive from your clone copy.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Most likely, you have a hard drive that's failing or a directory that's corrupted. Your keychain may also be corrupted.
Glad that I have no virus. I have backup- But my Time Machine is not that current for me to want to go back to it. How can I fix the keychain if that is corrupted without going through time machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Boot into Recovery first and check out that hard drive. here is how to use Recovery to check the drive out. When you get to the OS X Utilities, go in and run Repair Disk.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

OP
Q
Reaction score
Boot into Recovery first and check out that hard drive. here is how to use Recovery to check the drive out. When you get to the OS X Utilities, go in and run Repair Disk.

OS X: About OS X Recovery

I Had done the repair disk selecting the entire HD- without being in the recovery mode....everything was OK. Shall I do it again in recovery mode?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Please note.

You cannot Repair Disk unless you go into Recovery or, if the machine had Snow Leopard on it, booting from the DVD. You cannot repair a disk you are booted from.

What you have done is probably Repaired Permissions which does NOTHING to tell us about the health of the hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.